Evolution bridge: Good for rhythm? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Evolution bridge: Good for rhythm?

I will be ordering one tomorrow for my basswood RG.

Is the Evolution good for articulate rhythm? I cannot seem to find many examples of the Evolution rhythm. Most reviews appear to refer mostly to it's soloing abilities.

Slightly off topic: I am having a bit of fun testing pickups. Have tried the Tonezone (pretty nice, aggressive, but it seems a bit muddy/inarticulate on low end) and the PAF Pro (quite balanced and very musical, but somehow weak on the low end--lacks presence in this area). Admittedly, I am in the process of modding my Classic 30 (waiting for parts) so my testing has been done mostly on a J-Station.

Now I have to figure out which pickup to send back to Dimarzio: Tonezone or PAF Pro...

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Re: Evolution bridge: Good for rhythm?

I have a set of Evos in my basswood RG550 and I love the rhythm tones I can get with that axe. The second guitarist in my band has a couple different guitars with PAF style pickups and we blend very well together, wether he's using his Explorer, PRS or Parker.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:00 PM

ah, a very good question. Well, to be quite honest, it's hard to get rythm sounds out of a lead pickup. Although I absolutely love the bridge Evo. I had an RG550 with a set of Evos and I loved it. However, I got by best rythm tones out of it using (feel free to laugh) my Tone Works Pandora PX4. You're using a Classic 30 which you could no doubt get amazing lead tones out of with Evos but the down side is that it's a pretty middy amp and I don't know if you can get the rythm you're looking for, if you're playing some kind of metal. Personally, I think it has everything I would need, but some people like a whole lot of gain and you won't get that with a Classic 30.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the Classic is a limiting factor--but I hope the mods will take care of both the middiness, harshness and lack of gain--at least until I can afford a nice amp.
I have placed JJ tubes, and will soon change about a dozen different caps and resistors...and, may get a new speaker from Eminence.

I REALLY look forward to some day being able to spend the money for an excellent TUBE amp. Oh, I just drool over some of the amps you folks own.

I know, it IS only a pickup, and it has been a blast to try the different models.
Heck, I am tempted to just order the Evolution and keep all of the others.

Funny...I make an excellent wage, but I have a very serious goal of eradicating debt so my family can be more free. I hate debt!
My mindset is currently very thrifty--a mode that is hard to get out of...but, I still need to have some fun!

Thanks,
Bob
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:53 PM

If you like all of the pickups, then I would just keep them because you never know when you'll acquire another guitar that you'll want to throw them in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
If you like all of the pickups, then I would just keep them because you never know when you'll acquire another guitar that you'll want to throw them in.
Heh, heh, heh...I like that advice.

When in doubt, buy them all!!!

I think I will keep them, since I have decided to embark on a journey to find my sound...and the more tools I have, the better.

Bob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to ask:

Any advice on using 500k vs 250k pots with Evolutions?

I guess the 250k gives more treble, and greater clarity at the expense of a little volume?

Not a big deal, really...maybe I will get a 250k pot, and just try them both.

Thanks,
Bob
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalinbob
Forgot to ask:

Any advice on using 500k vs 250k pots with Evolutions?

I guess the 250k gives more treble, and greater clarity at the expense of a little volume?

Not a big deal, really...maybe I will get a 250k pot, and just try them both.

Thanks,
Bob
The 500K will be brighter and have more output than a 250K. 250Ks work better at taming over-bright and thin sounding pickups like single coils.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Excellent.

If it sounds too bright, i will try to "tune" it with a 250k pot.

Thanks a bunch for the reply.

Bob

Tags
paf pro , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode