Evolution pickups - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Re: Evolution pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
One way prove that the brass block suggestions is a crapola is ask yourself do people like Vai, Safraini and Gilbert, guitar gods who are obsessed with tone quality and sustain, do they use brass blocks in their Ibanez guitars?

No, that alone should tell you is a gimmick

Same for the noiseless springs
This is as wrong now as it is every other time you make the claim. What Vai, Gilbert and I presume you mean Satriani's choice not to use a brass trem block tells us is that they don't like the effect it has. Not that it is better or worse, just not their preference. You can find a load of well respected tone monster guitarists who do like it, again, just preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
This is as wrong now as it is every other time you make the claim. What Vai, Gilbert and I presume you mean Satriani's choice not to use a brass trem block tells us is that they don't like the effect it has. Not that it is better or worse, just not their preference. You can find a load of well respected tone monster guitarists who do like it, again, just preference.
What tone monsters are those? Do they have jems and Ibanez prestiges?

I keep mentioning Vai and Satriani because they have the same guitar everyone on this forum has. This is a Jem forum after all. If Vai feels that those brass blocks dont work well with the jems which means they donít work well with prestiges

Thats good enough in my book. Its irrelevan if other monsters are using them, they dont have jem and prestiges
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
What tone monsters are those? Do they have jems and Ibanez prestiges?

I keep mentioning Vai and Satriani because they have the same guitar everyone on this forum has. This is a Jem forum after all. If Vai feels that those brass blocks dont work well with the jems which means they donít work well with prestiges

Thats good enough in my book. Its irrelevan if other monsters are using them, they dont have jem and prestiges
Comprehension is clearly not your strong point. I said it was a matter of personal preference, there is no absolute here.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 10:52 AM

People like the JEM and JS guitars for different reasons than vai and satriani. A lot of times people like the feel but don't like the pickups... And change them. Just because some famous guy likes something doesn't make it good, it means the famous guy likes it. Sure it helps sell the thing because he has a following. But like Aligman just said... It's a personal preference, aka an opinion. Opinions are subject to different consideration than facts are.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 11:15 AM
Suspended

I read so many stories of people installing them only to dislike the tone. You canít go by youtube reviews all those guys are paid to advertise or sent free item for a positive reviews

Futone does this a lot
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I read so many stories of people installing them only to dislike the tone. You canít go by youtube reviews all those guys are paid to advertise or sent free item for a positive reviews

Futone does this a lot
Sure, there is marketing, and everyone needs to be aware of that. Not "all those guys" are paid, some people offer their OPINION.
Many people like brass blocks, many people don't. Use your ears, not your prejudice.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Suspended

You can just get any brass material a coin or anything and velcro it in the cavity or anywhere and it would achieve the same effect and is removable without having to disassemble the bridge
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You can just get any brass material a coin or anything and velcro it in the cavity or anywhere and it would achieve the same effect and is removable without having to disassemble the bridge
No, you can't.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
No, you can't.
Actually yes. For example the tremolo stabilizer by esp has some brass wheel and small parts. People claim that after installing this stabilizer they noticed an difference in tone and supposedly sustain

So anything brass that you in there will have the same effect. You can literally velcro 2 brass coins and it will have the same effect

Obviously a brass block is fatter
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Vendor

That's because anything else contacting trem to body adds some small amount of string energy transfer that the 2 tiny contact points on the studs offer. I once put a bolt on trem system on my Les Paul and immediately lost half my volume output much less the change in tone because it only had 2 small contact points instead of 4 large contacts.

Somebody that knows so little about guitars should listen more than speak and stop arguing with people that know way more than you probably ever will.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 12:31 PM

You have a severe lack of understanding of what resonance is, and what actually effects tone. Velcro doesn't transmit vibration... Simply changing your pick over to a different material changes tone. This is beginning to remind me of the saying... "You don't ever argue with a person in public that is ignorant... Because no one can tell the difference". I think I am done with this conversation.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:

So anything brass that you in there will have the same effect. You can literally velcro 2 brass coins and it will have the same effect
I was just going to reply "nonsense", but others have added the detail already. This isn't even just the years of playing experience of people here, it is basic physics.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 PM

@ Fowleri I generally ignore ridiculous posts like yours, but since you quoted me and caught me on a rough morning I feel compelled to respond. And take whatever offence you want to this.

You cannot be more wrong with your claims. If a guitar virtuoso does not use a larger brass block, that is their preference on what tone they are trying to achieve. Thatís awfully close to saying something stupid like because Kerry King of Slayer doesnít use a Fender custom shop Texas special pickup itís a crapola gimmick pickup. A personís preference will not change the laws of physics. Iíve already explained how it works so I wonít repeat myself. But based on your responses here and other topics I wouldnít expect a person who canít grasp the concept of how to change strings on a Floyd Rose bridge to understand.

The one way to as you said ďprove that the brass block suggestion is a crapolaĒ is to either do a little research, make your own comparison or both. You donít even need to get all scientific with it. A simple change it out and see what happens will be sufficient. I highly doubt youíll do this for yourself. Even if you did I doubt youíd understand the results.

And also, no you canít just Velcro some pocket change to your trem block and get the same effect. It would need to be better secured to the bock to achieve the desired effect. The ESP trem stabilizer you mention can add to sustain not because it has a little brass wheel, but because it is screwed to the body and makes solid contact with the trem block. Therefore it changes the dynamic of the strings vibration enough, meaning that thereís enough added mass and vibration transference to the body to produce slightly more noticeable sustain. And the material does not have to be brass either, it can be anything solid & dense enough to produce a change. A couple of quarters wonít be enough.

Youíd be best to keep baseless comments to yourself. Youíve already proved you donít know about such things and are unwilling to take expertís advice or even attempt to learn. All youíre going to end up doing is confusing someone and cluttering up an otherwise useful topic. Maybe after you gained some knowledge and have some evidence or reasonable explanation to back up your claim you can add to the conversation.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Its hard to become knowledgeable at something when that knowledge out there is limited. I have learned a few things from here yes, but how am I supposed to become knowledgeable when I cant find information that easy to understand and apply.

I offered to pay $100 for a rich video lesson in how to do a basic setup.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-03-2021, 03:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Somebody that knows so little about guitars should listen more than speak and stop arguing with people that know way more than you probably ever will.
Then stop arguing with everybody that knows far more than you and making proactive baseless statements because you saw something on youtube, or very soon you'll be looking for the next forum that hasn't had enough of the drama.

I have no interest in $100 to give a private lesson to anybody, but especially somebody that is just going to argue back "but so and so does it this way, and why don't you do it that way" or any other derivative. I've given my knowledge away for free, if you can't learn that way is not my problem. Have somebody that can teach you. Pay JSX as he's tried to help you the most but he seems to be at his limit also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode