Evos! How do they sound? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Location: Hamilton, ON, Canada - I live in Singapore, though.
Evos! How do they sound?

I've been wondering about this for a while. I know Vai uses them, but I've really never had the opportunity to listen to him for long. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm just wondering what sort of sound they get and how they work with body wood. I've heard they sound really '90s metal and have a screaming, almost vocal-ish sort of sound - which sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 AM

Re: Evos! How do they sound?

Go and watch 'Vai - Live at the Astoria' on DVD and that's Evos
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

I dunno, man. Vai's songs really don't do it for me - however, what I'm intrigued by is his tone. I was just thinking more about whether there's clips out there of people who've gotten them to work in a more conventional song-structured rock/metal setting.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Evolution neck is one of the best neck pickups I have played with, it is very balanced a bit compressed but can do everything I trow them: Blues, Jazz, Fusion, Rock, Metal, Pop, etc.

Evolution middle is a little over wounded single coil, it sound very close to a classic strat single but with a little more power, (not mutch).

Evolution Bridge is very hot, very comppresed, with lot of highs and upper mids, it screams and is very good for solos, but in my humble opinion it is not very good at rhythm.

Evo2 is a more balanced "tamed" version of Evolution Bridge, and does everything the former does, but in a little less "in your face" way, it has less compression and work nicer for rhythm. I like it more than the Evolution Bridge.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Does anyone know how they sound in mahogany?

I imagine that they would be less shrill-like, and would sound better in the rhythm department (in comparison to alder). I'm just guessing though, does anyone here have any experience with them in mahogany?

Cheers
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM

In my RGT (maple/walnut neckthru /w mahogany wings):

The Evo2 sounds pretty tasty, tight bass, warm but definied sound, definitely NOT too shrill.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 AM

listen to some dragonforce, thats the only clips i know of with evos in mohogany
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhaab View Post
listen to some dragonforce, thats the only clips i know of with evos in mohogany
YouTube their lesson videos, usually they aren't playing behind a huge number of effects (I think the Herman Ibanez interview is just straight into the amp)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

What's with the whole 'unforgiving' line though? I'm a bit afraid of that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
YouTube their lesson videos, usually they aren't playing behind a huge number of effects (I think the Herman Ibanez interview is just straight into the amp)
I just watched a few them....lol....."this is how you do a random sweep".
Great tone, but these guys have clearly been trying to run the 30-meter dash in a 29-meter gym!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Lightbulb Re: Evos! How do they sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _FR0D0 View Post
Evolution neck is one of the best neck pickups I have played with, it is very balanced a bit compressed but can do everything I trow them: Blues, Jazz, Fusion, Rock, Metal, Pop, etc.

Evolution middle is a little over wounded single coil, it sound very close to a classic strat single but with a little more power, (not mutch).

Evolution Bridge is very hot, very comppresed, with lot of highs and upper mids, it screams and is very good for solos, but in my humble opinion it is not very good at rhythm.

Evo2 is a more balanced "tamed" version of Evolution Bridge, and does everything the former does, but in a little less "in your face" way, it has less compression and work nicer for rhythm. I like it more than the Evolution Bridge.

Weird, I think the Evo Bridge works well on Rhythms (the attack totally dominates) and the Evo Neck is great for Leads. I still prefer the PAFpro bridge for leads though.

I strongly disagree on the qualification: compressed. Evos are anything but compressed!

There are extremely dynamic. (as you say "in your face") If you experience compression, that is due to the hot output, which can induce compression further up the signal path.

Because of their high output and dynamics, they also clean up very well using the volume control on your guitar.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 PM

dragon force is awful.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Dragonforce is a great power metal band. Who has trouble playing live.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
dragon force is awful.
+1 yuk. Reminds me of Sonic the hedgehog games my kids play.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lemons View Post
Dragonforce is a great power metal band. Who has trouble playing live.
I like dragonforce, but they wont make like top 5 for me. They don't sound that great live, Studioforce ftw lol

Tags
classic strat , evo bridge , evolution bridge , evolution neck , neck pickup , neck pickups , tight bass , walnut neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode