Experience with Dimaraio Fred? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Experience with Dimaraio Fred?

Hi all-

Choosing a neck pickup for my RG550. Leaning toward the Fred for a sound that's meaty but still with all the harmonics and glistening overtones I could want. Question is- all the clips I hear of it sound like Satch tone- which I do not want, at all. Granted they were in JS or S guitars, so that may have something to do with it.

Do I need to be concerned I'll be stuck with a Satriani tone? (No disrespect to one of the greats! Just not the tone for me.) Deep, thick, robust, hearty tone is what I'm after... But still with the harmonic content. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Experience with Dimaraio Fred?

I've got a fred in a JS1200 and a Fred in an ESP M-100 and they sound very different side by side - Agathis vs Basswood bodies. Both are in the bridge position for me, so I can't fully comment on how different they'd be in the neck. I play my JS with a Mesa DC-5 and I can get convincing Black Album tones from it, nice cleans, and plenty of crunchy rock tones that don't go into that Satch vein. Any pedals and amps you have will also more than facilitate different sounds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 120

Maybe try the new Dominion bridge then. Been playing with it the past week. Sounds thick and hearty while still cutting. Great harmonics too. Sounds kinda like a Tone Zone, perfected for basswood.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: Experience with Dimarzio Fred?

LonePhantom- that's wild; I was just reading your reviews for the two Dominions and you make it sound perfect for what I want. I know Morton's Lamb of God work is super heavy, but hearing his description of the pickups sounds ideal. Sounds like he has pretty broad ears, not a strictly metal guy.

Maybe going with the pair is the way to go so I know they'll be ideally balanced rather than trying a Dominion neck with a Tone Zone.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 PM

I posted some vids using my JS1000 which had a FRED a while ago, nice articulate pickup:

Lamb of God:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxjfj5_ligQ

Van Halen Tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh4qVvMJUc

Metallica: (really old vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbDfbkIycj0
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Hi all-

Choosing a neck pickup for my RG550. Leaning toward the Fred for a sound that's meaty but still with all the harmonics and glistening overtones I could want. Question is- all the clips I hear of it sound like Satch tone- which I do not want, at all. Granted they were in JS or S guitars, so that may have something to do with it.

Do I need to be concerned I'll be stuck with a Satriani tone? (No disrespect to one of the greats! Just not the tone for me.) Deep, thick, robust, hearty tone is what I'm after... But still with the harmonic content. Thanks.
Joe's tone is a lot of how he plays the guitar with his right hand.
I have FREDs in the neck(RG550) and the bridge(S540LTD) on two different guitars.
I can sound like Joe's if I use his style, or I can sound completely different if I play my way.
If you have ever played a Dimarzio PAF Pro, it's not all that different, just a little more mids.
It's a nice even tone pickup. The farther you pick towards the neck, the more mids come out.
The output is in the middle too, this gives nice sustain and very good dynamic control at the same time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM

Reviews: 4

Sebastian has it exactly right.

I'm not sure if it is exactly relevant to this thread, but I just ordered a FRED for the neck position of my (mahog) RG520. I'm pairing it with a AT1 bridge. I will share my opinion when everything gets installed (in about 2 weeks).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM

When i had my rg550 and s420, i had the fred in the neck. Sounded great for leads under distortion, easy harmonics, and can hear every note. In parallel mode, i loved it's clean sounds...

Jeff

Tags
dimarzio , fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode