F-spaced in Wolfgang? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

F-spaced in Wolfgang?

I am getting a Wolfgang with EMGs in it and read that a good replacement set would be the Tone Zone in the bridge and a Air Norton in the neck. Do I need to get F-spaced or normal spaced pups?
Has anyone ever had EMGs in a Wolfgang? I am just curious if ant mods were don to the body to fit them in there and if that will cause my problems when installing the new pups?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:18 AM

you will need F-spaced in the bridge only,since the wolfie has a 1-5/8ths at the nut,a regular spaced air norton lines up perfect.
the only time you need a f-spaced at the neck is for 1- 11/16ths or wider at the nut.
the set you are getting will be very,very close to the stock wolf pups the guitar original had.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:59 AM

for a vintage version(a little less output) try the air zone
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

WOW!!! Cool clip!
I did some reading in the threads last night and found that combo was mentioned as a good replacement set for the Wolfie. I have a Tone Zone (zebra- is that cream/blk or wht/blk?) f-spaced on the way from another jemsite member. I am now looking for the Air Norton and I am curious about the Air Zone/Tone Zone combo - will the output of the TZ be unbalanced w/ an Air Zone? Thanks for the advice!
Todd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
WOW!!! Cool clip!
I did some reading in the threads last night and found that combo was mentioned as a good replacement set for the Wolfie. I have a Tone Zone (zebra- is that cream/blk or wht/blk?) f-spaced on the way from another jemsite member. I am now looking for the Air Norton and I am curious about the Air Zone/Tone Zone combo - will the output of the TZ be unbalanced w/ an Air Zone? Thanks for the advice!
Todd
if you get the air zone/air norton set your wolfgang will sound like the EBMM axis or EVH guitar. these are pretty much the exact pups in that guitar. the tone zone when you get one sounds best real far from the strings. if it is too close it is kind of muddy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I installed a Tone Zone (blk/crm) in the bridge and an EVH original Peavey neck pup wired in series when the volume push/pull knob is activated. I tried the guitar up against a stock Wolfgang and the TZ is warmer and "mellower". I'll try backing it off a little to see what what happens. The original EVH Peavey bridge pup has a higher output and really kicks ass!! I will leave the TZ in the bridge of this guitar and when I get my next Wolfgang, I will leave it stock to acheive a different feel than I currently get from this standard Wolfie.
Pics are posted (pre-pup change) in my GAS thread in the non-Ibanez topics.
Thanks for the info!
Todd

Tags
air norton , bridge pup , ebmm axis , neck pup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode