Fat neck pup to pair with Super 3 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Fat neck pup to pair with Super 3

Guitar: RG520 QS (mahogany H-H)
Bridge pup: Super 3

I miss the tone of my Super 3 bridge pickup in my 520 so I'm reordering one. At the time it was paired with a Liquifire. I like a lot of things about that pup but it never inspired me much so I'm trying something new. I'm assuming I wont' like the Air Norton since it's so similar.

What I want out of a neck pickup is for it to be fat and punchy. I'll tell you what I didn't like about various pickups I've tried in the neck:

Liquifire: Too hi-fi/compressed, weird blippy sounding high-end attack, too hollow sounding. Want something denser thoughout the midrange and looser in the bass. If I wanted to sound like a piano, I'd play one.

PAF Pro: Too bright. Way too bright. I like the pick attack and high end, but it's totally lacking in the low end I want out of a neck pickup. Just a whole mess of flat-sounding upper mids. No thanks.

Tone Zone (yes I tried the Tone Zone in the neck): As one would expect, lacking mid-highs and highs (although surprisingly the high-highs, as in the pick attack/that very "tip" of the notes were totally sufficient).

In my 540S I used to have, which tonally is similar, I really liked the Humbucker from Hell in the neck. Despite the very defined top end, it had plenty of body for me. Had the definition that some people like out of the Air Norton and Liqufire, but without the weird compressed blippy/bloopy top end thing going on. However that guitar was 22 frets, which I believe made all the difference. May be worth a shot again though? Fred has also been suggested to me, but with all I've heard about what a "great stratty top end" it has, it sounds like it's not for me.

I'm thinking about a Norton (regular Norton) too. I've tried that in the neck of an Alder RT650 and it had some of the problems described above from the Tone Zone, but not as bad. Might work in this guitar.

Considering:
Breed Neck
Dominion Neck
Gravity Storm Neck
Norton

Others?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Fat neck pup to pair with Super 3

Gravity Storm neck isn't really fat. It almost has a single coil quality to it. Dominion isn't overly fat sounding either.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Gravity Storm neck isn't really fat. It almost has a single coil quality to it. Dominion isn't overly fat sounding either.
Correct but it won't thin out like most ceramic humbuckers do.

I'd also suggest the Breed (DP165) and Air Zone.

The Breed would be the best match IMO.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Not to mess with the DiMarzio theme (I love them too) but one of my all time favorite neck pups is the Duncan Pearly Gates. Beautiful warm, full tone. Not compressed sounding. Very responsive to volume knob adjustments. One of my best sounding axe is a mahogany bodied RG with an original Evo in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM

I'm not sure if the Pearly Gates would be considered fat. It's an awesome sounding pickup, I have the neck model in my RG 470, alongside a Custom and Quarter Pound. This is a deadly combo.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM

That is a killer combo LP. I always struggle with this type of post because how I define "fat", an adjective that has nothing really to do with sound, and how another associates "fat" with a pup sound is so subjective...

For me, I consider it "fat" because its a very full, warm sounding pup. It is not as distorted as higher output HB's but neither is it wimpy - when at full vol it has a nice velvety smooth distortion which is exactly what I love in a neck pup. As far as tone it's slightly warm without being dark or muddy, but slightly brighter than the aforementioned LiquiFire (which I also use). Its much less compressed sounding than the LF but still articulate, it doesnt get flubby sounding. It's billed as a "bluesy" pup but I play classic hard rock and metal and prog rock/metal (think Rhodes, Vai, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc) and absolutely love how it sounds for all those applications.

Hopefully that description is a little more informative than just saying I think it's "fat".
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Reviews: 11

Ones I would consider "fat"

gibson 490R

dimarzio air norton

dimarzio Paf PRO (more balanced then fat, but will go with super quite nicely!)

ibanez super 70
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Good call on the "fat" adjective...I tried to address that by saying what I didn't like about those other pups. Lonephantom's thoughts about Dominion and Gravity Storm necks make me think I don't want them. I do not want a single-coil like quality.

To be more descriptive, "fat" to me means a quality of denseness in the frequencies from the lows all the way up to the mids-upper mids. I want a pickup that Paul Gilbert would hate. Maybe think of it that way. I do not want it to sound "airy" or "hollow." That's why Liquifire doesn't qualify for me.

I'll look again at Breed neck and read some more reviews.

Re: Pearly Gates, I agree the Pearly Gates set is a killer jack-of-all-trades set, and the neck is great. I have my doubts about whether it will do well in a 24 fret guitar though as to me it is a very balanced pickup with accentuated pick attack.

Maybe I should ask for suggestions for "muddy" neck pickups! That might be the ticket for me.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 11

God if you want muddy, the 490R is DEFINITELY the pickup for you! hahaha Hate that darn thing...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM

Ok cool... Well not to sound sacreligious or anything but if you want a muddier tone, why not just use an Iby V7? I know it's not a DiMarzio or Duncan, but I found them much too muddy for my taste... Which may be just what you're looking for? And I'm sure you could score one cheap, or even free (if it isn't already in the guitar you have in mind?). Hell I may even have one laying around here somewhere if you want it...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM

I didn't try the liquidfire but even when petrucci was using an air-norton it was installed upsidedown and there was somesort of half-air mod going on in it as far as I know. Similaritys may not be that much though I'm just guessing...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

You know I've got a V7 and a V6 laying around- not a bad idea. I'm not too proud to try anything.

I have read the Air Norton does something different if installed upside down; maybe not so "airy." Maybe I should consider it.

Got the Super 3 on the way.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Good call on the "fat" adjective...I tried to address that by saying what I didn't like about those other pups. Lonephantom's thoughts about Dominion and Gravity Storm necks make me think I don't want them. I do not want a single-coil like quality.

To be more descriptive, "fat" to me means a quality of denseness in the frequencies from the lows all the way up to the mids-upper mids. I want a pickup that Paul Gilbert would hate. Maybe think of it that way. I do not want it to sound "airy" or "hollow." That's why Liquifire doesn't qualify for me.

I'll look again at Breed neck and read some more reviews.

Re: Pearly Gates, I agree the Pearly Gates set is a killer jack-of-all-trades set, and the neck is great. I have my doubts about whether it will do well in a 24 fret guitar though as to me it is a very balanced pickup with accentuated pick attack.

Maybe I should ask for suggestions for "muddy" neck pickups! That might be the ticket for me.
Like I mentioned in my post, Pearly Gates is awesome in my RG 470. Don't discount it due to having a 24 fret guitar.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
I didn't try the liquidfire but even when petrucci was using an air-norton it was installed upsidedown and there was somesort of half-air mod going on in it as far as I know. Similaritys may not be that much though I'm just guessing...
I've noticed a lot more difference when flipping the Breed around - which comes with symmetrical coils - than when you do the same to an Air Norton.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 130

Super 2 or PAF PRO.

Tags
super 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode