Faulty pickup or faulty wiring? RGA121 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Faulty pickup or faulty wiring? RGA121

Hi guys I'm new to posting here so if there's somewhere else I should be posting this lemme know!

Ibanez RGA121, which has a 5 way switch and HH config

I had a Tone Zone F spaced put in the bridge, and a PAF Pro put in the neck.

All through a music store. (Long and McQuade)

TZ sounds great. PAF Pro is absolutely horrific. There's lots of hum, a massive volume drop, and no bass whatsoever.

So i took it back in, but they have a tech guy which they outsource too, and trying to figure it out with them being the middle man is really tough. Employee/s at the store played it with me and they figured it was bad wiring (PAF wired backwards), but I called the tech and he figures the wiring is perfect (of course he does) so it must be a faulty pickup.

Mostly these guys seem to have no idea what this is even supposed to sounds like, which is frustrating. Anybody got any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Faulty pickup or faulty wiring? RGA121

It's more than likely that it's bad or incorrect wiring. It's hard to break a pickup unless it's obviously broken. I'd say there are some bad solder joints.

Do you have the guitar, can oh post a photo of the wiring in the cavity?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

K thanks.

No pics as of now. Still in the shop. This tech told me he'd look at it tuesday morning and he's either too dumb to figure out what the problem is, or too lazy to do a rush job on his mistake.

If I get it back broken I'll put pics up. Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Some easy checks:

Put the selector switch on the PAF. Connect your guitar to the amp as normal. Then tap on both coils of the pickup. I guess one is not working.

Check if the split wires (black+white)of the PAF pickup are not accidentally connected to anything else, or ground. If not then next, unsolder the black and white wires. Test the pickup again. If problem remains then there is likely something wrong with the pickup.

Note, this all only works if the red wire is hot on switch and green is grounded. Also check if bare and green are grounded correctly.

In any case, this is something the people at the shop should do, or should have done before giving it back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Turns out he fried the switch. Go figure. He wired it up without the split/parallel in positions 2/4 and it works fine. New switch is on the way and all is good.

Can't get much for sparkle out of this thing right now but anything is better than the old pups.

PAF pro in the neck is an AMAZING pickup btw. My first experience with Dimarzio's and I love it.

Thx for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode