Feedback troubles... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Feedback troubles...

Here's the deal: Ibanez RG2020 with DiMarzio Steve's Special in bridge position, Laney VH100R head + Marshall 1960BV 4x12 cab (V30s). At band rehearsals, I was experiencing uncontrollable feedback. My local shop guitar tech inspected the guitar and did a wax (paraffin) bath to the coils of my SS to prevent the coils to start resonating. Now I think the problem is quite gone, but if I play with the high gain setting of my amp while sitting on a chair that is 1 meter away from the stack, as soon as I stop playing, here comes the feedback (I am pointing my back at the stack, not my face). If I stand up in the same position, than no unwanted feedback.
I am trying to discover if this is normal or if it is due to the pickup. I must say that the SS is quite close to the strings (4mm from the open strings), I don't know if this can cause feedbacking.
NB: this appens ONLY with high-gain and SS selected. The same amp settings with the Air Norton don't produce feedback at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 10:11 AM

Microphonic feedback is common with high gain settings and sitting that close to the amp.

One of my Evo pups does that when I'm only 1 meter away, and this is a low wattage (well, 25) amp I'm dealing with. I don't use high gain setting regularly though . . .

Two things,

One; if you're playing very high gain and loud, move farther away from the amp. This will help with the feedback (you can try re-potting, but your gain is most likely just too high/loud/close for the pups).

Two; don't sit that close to an amp that's cranked if you want to continue HEARING what you're playing. Chances are if your pups are feeding back when you're close to the amp (after being properly potted) you're too close for your ears.

Ask Pete Townsend how much he'd love to have some of his hearing back, he never used ear protection and played very loud, and close, to his amps . . .

Mic

Tags
air norton , amp settings , bridge position , dimarzio steve , guitar tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode