Fernandes Sustainer vs. Sustainiac Deathmatch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

View Poll Results: Which sustainer system is better: the Fernandes Sustainer or the Sustainiac?
Fernandes Sustainer 9 40.91%
Sustainiac 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Fernandes Sustainer vs. Sustainiac Deathmatch

Hey everyone, i want to get a sustainer system soon and im debating on which one to get. at first i was set on the fernandes system because it was the only one i had heard of and it was used by many people such as Steve Vai. then the sustainiac came into the picture.

i've done research and most people seem to think the sustiainiac is better, but im not totally convinced. the ferndandes system seems much more credible to me.

so once and for all, let us answer the burning question: which is better, the fernandes sustainer or the sustainiac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Re: Fernandes Sustainer vs. Sustainiac Deathmatch

Vai and Neal Schon of Journey use the Fernandes system. I like what they do, so that's why I'm going with a Fernandes setup for my guitar.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 AM

I got a fernandes once, and my friend got a sustainiac.
Both worked equally as well imo but sustainiac is 100x* more easier to install.
Fernandes looks cooler though lol. I don't know how they differ in terms of sound though as a pickup i never thought of that.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 11

satch uses sustainiac if that helps lol

In all honesty, Ive played on both, both seem to be identical. That being the case, I would let cost and ease of installation make my choice FOR me.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

how about tonal quality? i've heard that the sustainiac has much better tone. is this true?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Tonally, I don't think you'll be able to tell a difference between the two. I've got a sustainiac simply because of the ease of installation.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Wow, I'm even more confused!?!? I'm in the final stages of a JEM D.I.Y. It's similar to a floral JEM YET IT'S an aqua Bohemian paisly style cloth. I started around 6 months ago with only an aqua/bluish abalone inlaid Ibanez JEM neck. I've undertaken this endeavor on a shoe string budget which has it's pros & cons . I'm able to scour sites like eBay & others so I can find exactly what I need! And work on the finish by hand. I've come away with about a 3/16ths pure glass looking finish before I've even applied any buffing & swirl mark removal compound! I've acquired aqua abalone topped knarled vol & tone knobs ,blue "gravity storms" original edge Lo Pro term! It's gorgeous ,beautiful!! Well battery getting low. Ahh the plug is working? I have 3 original Edge tremelos left ,now that I know how to get the glass like finish I'll have to start a new one when.this one is kicking arse!! So the $70 I save on the neck pickup I can use for the sustain(iac)? I do see a overwhelming %age of opinions about how much easier the install goes!
On my next one I can save SO MUCH TIME on the finish . Now the JEM necks have doubled in price! In a short period of time! I may have to try for a prestige neck!
Still the main objective is deciding on which sustainer and learning the install. I'll go slowly & make lots of detailed notes on every step of the install! # codes & detailed colored wire layouts with a ruler to scale !! Well wish me luck and any input on which sustainers are more than welcome . eee male vaihalen29 at g mail dot com thanks for ANY input! TTYS!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM

I had a Fernandes one to go in my RG, but I ended up selling it and plan to go with the Sustainiac, purely due to the size. The Fernandes board is about the size of a credit card, so it's more invasive unless you have a large cavity to put it in. The Sustainiac is small enough that it can fit in a lot of pre-existing cavities. And if not, won't require as much wood removed.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks McQ. !!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM

only have owned the Fernandes, but it was cool!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Angry Re: Fernandes Sustainer vs. Sustainiac Deathmatch

Just when I've made up my mind! LOL Anyone know the prices of each? That may be the deciding factor .Thanks for everyone's input! Guitarist need to help each other! I was so lucky to have Jimmy Herring as my daily one on one instructor at A.I.M./G.I.T.88-89. A wide eyed teenager ,working my way through with the Atlanta Symphony..
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM

I've also heard the Sustainiac has a harmonizer function and the Fernandez doesn't? I'm Sure Via has an Eventide Harmonizer @ $4,000!!! . Anyone heard if the Harmonizer issue is true?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Both have the ability to shift the sustained note up to a +5TH harmonic after a few seconds. You can switch them so they either add the extra shift to the base note, and retains the original sound, or shifts the note completely up from the base note.

If you go with Fernandes, only the 401 has this feature, however the 101 has the same board so you simply remove the original 2 position on-on DPDT switch and replace it with a 3 position on-on-on. You can also add an intensity pot to the 101 too, which only the 401 ships with. About $10 in parts will save you $100.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM

I hate to hijack this thread, but I have a question. I am getting a Fernandes guitar with a "Sustainer lite". It only has the sustain mode. Is there away to convert to to the Harmonic Mode as well?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterh View Post
I hate to hijack this thread, but I have a question. I am getting a Fernandes guitar with a "Sustainer lite". It only has the sustain mode. Is there away to convert to to the Harmonic Mode as well?
I don't think so. Unless it's the same board. If it's the same boards then you can buy a switch and probably hook it up but something makes me think theyre not that stupid

You could always just buy a 401 kit and stick it in the place if the old ineS but it's stuoi gonna be the cost of the 401 (or 101 of course)

Tags
ferndandes , pro , stealth , sustainer , sustainiac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode