First Pickup Change --- Recommendations? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Re: First Pickup Change --- Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Those pickups are worth more than the guitar. Do you think you should sink that sort of cash into that guitar. I'd recommend saving up for a better guitar first, the. Then think about a reasonable amp. Then think about pickups.
+1.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

From my experience, the type of guitar that you install EMG's in is not as important as passive or other type of pickups. The EMGs tend to sound the same despite what type of guitar you put them in. So in my opinion, if that is the sound you are looking for, installing them in a budget guitar is a better option. I would not put EMGs in a $2,000 Gibson or PRS. You are not going to get the tonal benefits that those high quality guitars provide out of the EMGs. Not that they are bad PUPs. I actually have the EMG 81/85 ZW set in a Les Paul Studio I bought for $300 and they sound awesome for metal. But I would not be too concerned about spending a ton of money on a high end guitar and then pop in EMGs. Passive PUPs are much more critical of the tonewoods and type of guitar you place them in. Youre inexpensive guitar may be just fine for EMGs. I would be more concerned about the playability and reliability of the guitar than if the EMGs would be worth putting in it. You can get a set used for cheap. Also, they are a piece of cake to install since the sets come with solderless connectors.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM

awesome, exactly wat i was saying lol! from wat ive read so far on the ibanez grx20 it is a quality guitar thats built to be cheap and last with good sound, only negative aspect ive found from hours of checking out reviews and write ups, is that it has weak pups. although now i have found a schecter damien 6 elite for about $200 cdn with VERY minor cosmetic damage (theres a single scuff on the back lol) that comes with emg 81/85 setup. im going to try to get this because its actually $50 less than the emgs alone lol
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicosmo View Post
From my experience, the type of guitar that you install EMG's in is not as important as passive or other type of pickups. The EMGs tend to sound the same despite what type of guitar you put them in. So in my opinion, if that is the sound you are looking for, installing them in a budget guitar is a better option. I would not put EMGs in a $2,000 Gibson or PRS. You are not going to get the tonal benefits that those high quality guitars provide out of the EMGs. Not that they are bad PUPs. I actually have the EMG 81/85 ZW set in a Les Paul Studio I bought for $300 and they sound awesome for metal. But I would not be too concerned about spending a ton of money on a high end guitar and then pop in EMGs. Passive PUPs are much more critical of the tonewoods and type of guitar you place them in. Youre inexpensive guitar may be just fine for EMGs. I would be more concerned about the playability and reliability of the guitar than if the EMGs would be worth putting in it. You can get a set used for cheap. Also, they are a piece of cake to install since the sets come with solderless connectors.
Yet another person perpetuating this myth......

Turn down the gain a bit, and lower the pickups a smidge. EMGs are fantastic for all sorts of styles, especially with the 18V mod.

There's also more options than the 81-85 combo typically used by metal players.
LonePhantom is online  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Again, wrong. You do not need to reroute for six string EMGs. You get the pots and stuff with the pickups too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
well, its not really the best amp out there, but thats not the point.

Active pickups are like, the biggest noob mistake. learn what they are really about, it will take almost 300 dollars. You need to re-route the cavities, change all the pots, switches and the input jack, add a new route for the battery. the pickups themselves are already very expensive. you don't know what you are getting yourself into.

If *I* were you, I would get a normal ***passive*** (<not a bad thing, dude) DiMarzio, such as the tone zone.

So *especially* with EMGs, installation is a huge ordeal, Passives ar sooooooo much easier, and imo, actually sound better and more dynamic, unless you are in a djent band rofl

Welcome to jemsite btw
LonePhantom is online  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Again, wrong. You do not need to reroute for six string EMGs. You get the pots and stuff with the pickups too.
Maybe he's got them confused with a Ferdandes Sustainer. ;P

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Maybe he's got them confused with a Ferdandes Sustainer. ;P
LonePhantom is online  

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode