First pup replacement...need a pep talk... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation First pup replacement...need a pep talk...

OK, so I'm about to perform my first pup replacement.
I'm taking the V8 out of my beloved stock 2000 RG570GN and slapping an EVO2 Bridge in there.

I have several different wiring diagrams from varying sources (and with wildly varying degrees of quality; from Ibanez' stock pickup configuration diagrams to Dimarzio's "kindergartener drew it with crayons" version), and while it more or less makes sense to me, I'm still experiencing this (possibly irrational) feeling of fear and trepidation.

So, pretty please, with freakin' sugar on top, would some of the sage scholars here give me a pep talk? I don't want to totally screw up my RG. Again, irrational, but there it is...

Any help/advice/tips/tricks would be appreciated in the extreme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Re: First pup replacement...need a pep talk...

Take your time, let the soldering iron get fully up to temperature before you begin, and remember that wiring isn't some kind of permanent mod - you can always re-do it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Be careful. Don't cut the wrong wire, or it could be your a$$...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:46 PM

read the dimarzio ones...the coloring of the wires are all different for all pups

so just use the 5 way switch as a refrence, make sure u got the spring side properly identified, and the prongs on the pots.... use dimarzios diagram its actually really easy and perfect, but make sure your runnign the same comfiguration as u are runniing now

then solder the tip of the wire, just a 1/8 inch needed....and clean ur solder tip with a wet rag, use a small 5/10 wat iron, if u use a hot iron not meant for small soldering you will destroy and melt the conductor inside the pots...those mechanism are sensitive and you can ruin them, that is why they make special non corosive cleaners to clean pots.....

then take you wire, and put it NOT in the hole of the lead on the pot of switch, and just lean it on the prong

then dap a tad but of solder(flux core in this case(try not to use lead becasue it attracts buzzing and stuff--use silver solder)) and then with that dab of solder then move it over to the prong with the wire, and it should roll right over on the tab - nd heat it up, fast enough for the whole thing to be covered in solder--then remove it, and blow on it with ur mouth to cool it quickly because the wire can still not be secured-this is a easy way, you dont need alot, you want to keep the pots as cool as possible...and dont use a very hot iron

did i miss anything..oh yeah in between coatings, always use a moist rag to clean off alllllll solder on the iron....make sure its clean everytime u solder...this will transition to the clarity of the sound as if the soldered part is "unclean" it developes lots os resistance
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Be careful. Don't cut the wrong wire, or it could be your a$$...
Thank you for that.
From the very bottom of my warm, fuzzy little heart. Thank you.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM

more like just don't cut the wire. leave the pickup length as long as possible. then, if you make a mistake, you'll have slack to fix your mistakes. pre-tin your wire/lugs before solder connections. it will make flowing both components easier. use a 25-40w soldering iron. any less will not get hot enough. any more will fry the insulation. i use a 100w gun for soldering a ground to a trem claw, but that's it. keep a small dmap sponge around to wipe off excess solder and clean your iron's tip when it gets dirty. these are things i typically remember whenever i solder.

rich
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
more like just don't cut the wire. leave the pickup length as long as possible. then, if you make a mistake, you'll have slack to fix your mistakes. pre-tin your wire/lugs before solder connections. it will make flowing both components easier. use a 25-40w soldering iron. any less will not get hot enough. any more will fry the insulation. i use a 100w gun for soldering a ground to a trem claw, but that's it. keep a small dmap sponge around to wipe off excess solder and clean your iron's tip when it gets dirty. these are things i typically remember whenever i solder.

rich
i have a 5-15 watt circuit iron, its a expensive one, i use it on 10w setting, but like some other irons do need a higher vlaue, mine gets the whole thing hot as hell mega fast, maybe its just mine, so yeah go with a 25-40w probably

Tags
trem claw , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode