Fred v Tonezone - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Talking Fred v Tonezone

Heloo (again)

I'm just about to purchase a bridge pickup for my 7vwh and wondered which would make the best partner for the Evo neck pickup....taking into consideration that i want something that gives me great harmonics and enough output to match the Evo (i am quite happy to adjust the pickup height as long as i dont have to put one right up to the strings = bad)

Come to think of it..........Would a Mo Joe be better choice than either ????

Cheers folks

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Re: Fred v Tonezone

Well the original Evo would be my choice, it's a great match for the Neck Evo.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM

it's a jem7vwh..it should already have an evo. for output, look into the super distortion or super 3. the TZ is great, but both SD and S3 have way more output. now the fred will be pretty underpowered, especially coming from an evo. keep the output voltage in mind when choosing a new pickup to match another. neck pickups are always louder, even when lower powered, due to position.

rich
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Tone zone no doubt but a 7v with a tone zone is rare combination though, you might reconsider getting an evo back
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Thumbs up Re: Fred v Tonezone

I think the tone zone sounds great in a alder JEM
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

if i lower the neck evo, will i be able to get a similar output with the Fred ????

i've heard good things about both the TZ and the Fred and find harmonics aren't very forth coming with the Evo's. technique is prob part of the prob but i've never had trouble with my past guitars.

My originl Evo malfunctioned and it's put me off it a little

i've also heard Evo 2's are supposed to be good.

Last edited by elephantlugs; 06-12-2006 at 01:13 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

The neck Evo is only 294mV anyway.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGlow
The neck Evo is only 294mV anyway.
so you think the Fred would work well with the Evo Neck on a 7v???

cheers
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM

i love the fred pickup in basswood, but i didn't like it too much in my old alder guitar. it has excellent harmonics that you are looking for, but i think the tonezone would better match the evo in the neck becuase its has higher output than the fred. i think the higher output of the tonezone would be a better match to the evo which is pretty high output. fred is an awesome pickup but i think the tonezone is better for your unique situation. just my opinion.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 PM

I'm thinking the Mo Joe would be better than the Fred. And if you don't like the original EVO, there's always the EVO2 ...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Fred v Tonezone

Thanks for all the advice then guys. looks like the Fred is a no but still torn between the Mo' Joe and Tonezone. aaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhh

You'd think it was a life changinging decision eh. ha ha

i'll have to ponder on it some more.

Cheers !!!!

Neil
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 AM

Get the Tone Zone!!!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM

Tone Zone my friend. Tone Zone. Its the best option.

BLAKK:JAKK
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Extremist
i love the fred pickup in basswood, but i didn't like it too much in my old alder guitar. it has excellent harmonics that you are looking for, but i think the tonezone would better match the evo in the neck becuase its has higher output than the fred. i think the higher output of the tonezone would be a better match to the evo which is pretty high output. fred is an awesome pickup but i think the tonezone is better for your unique situation. just my opinion.
+1

i have the fred in 3 different guitars with 3 different woods. one in alder (an rt450), one in basswood (js1000) and one in mahogony (js6). sounds fantastic in the js guitars, but very lackluster in the rt450. could be the quality of the woods, but i don't think so, cause the rt's were fugijen guitars, same factory that makes the prestige guitars and made the js models i have. and i also concur about the output levels. fred will be noticeably underpowered compared to the evo neck and to be honest, i think the mo joe would be too cause even though it is higher output, it's still considered a medium output pickup. so you may want to go with the tone zone, although i'm not really a fan of it, tends to sound muddy imo.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 03:38 PM

tone zone and fred actually sound quite similar. both PAF style pickups. the difference is that that the Tone Zone is very hot and the FRED is medium output. The tonezone has more way bass and low mids. Fred is the PAF pro with boosted mids and more harmonics. just listen to joe satriani, that's his main bridge pickup.

Tags
breed bridge , bridge pickup , joe satriani , neck evo , neck pickup , neck pickups , output pickup , paf pro , pickup height , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode