Full Shred Single Coil? Idea for J Custom Pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Full Shred Single Coil? Idea for J Custom Pups

I'm a huge Seymour Duncan fan, and have never really loved Dimarzio.

I just got this sick J custom from Ibanezrules.com and want to put in a Duncan Full Shred.

My only Beef with the Full Shred, is that it does not match with other pickups, because of the allen screws.

My Idea: Is to purchase a standard Full Shred bridge and neck, and then attempt to have the Duncan custom Shop make a single coil with allen screws(for middle position), so everything matches. Now I don't really know if this is possible, but would love to hear your thoughts. Also was thinking of black bobbins with stainless steel allen screws.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Re: Full Shred Single Coil? Idea for J Custom Pups

sooo, your worried about looks?
the infinity single coils have adjustable allen screw poles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 PM

i have a full shred in an rg and i hate it
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 AM

The Custom Shop can do it, but it would be a different style single coil. It would have a base magnet or two, like the Dimarzio Blaze single. That's the only way to do it.

The other alternative is to put two rows of screws in it instead. If you do that, you need short screws (same length as FS) or you simply cut the screws short with a nipper or cutter. If the screws are long like a PAF, the tone will change because the magnetic field will be elongated. That short, tight magnetic field is part of the Full Shred's magic.

Personally I like the look of the FS with regular Alnico pole single coils, but also with rails pickups, like the Cool Rails or Vintage Rails.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
The Custom Shop can do it, but it would be a different style single coil. It would have a base magnet or two, like the Dimarzio Blaze single. That's the only way to do it.

The other alternative is to put two rows of screws in it instead. If you do that, you need short screws (same length as FS) or you simply cut the screws short with a nipper or cutter. If the screws are long like a PAF, the tone will change because the magnetic field will be elongated. That short, tight magnetic field is part of the Full Shred's magic.

Personally I like the look of the FS with regular Alnico pole single coils, but also with rails pickups, like the Cool Rails or Vintage Rails.
Thanks Frank, what is your position at Seymour Duncan?

Yes, I think a FS in the Neck and Bridge w/ a single coil w/ regular Alnico pole pieces would look good too not that I think about it.

Hmmmm.... What single coil do I want to pair w/ the FS's?

So as long as I matched size(esp. length), I could replace the black allen screws w/ stainless steel one's and maintain same tone?

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio blaze , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode