GAH! can't decide between ToneZone or a Super Distortion - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

GAH! can't decide between ToneZone or a Super Distortion

Got a Squier Double Fat Strat:

and wanna change the BRIDGE pickup (the neck one is ok when tone is at 4-5, great bluesy sound i really like).

i need a real KILLER... heavy stuff... fat palm mutes and chords have priority but tbh i need singing lead, too...

i think the ToneZone is more allround to my needs, heavy lows and good singing lead... am i mistakin'?

only can buy one of those 2 atm, tbh (moneh ;()

please help me out?

DiMarzio ToneZone / SuperDistortion? (you might recommend me anything else, too, but not the fred and the paf pro, got them in my js90th and want something else for this guitar (though i love the fred!) - and no duncan's please unless you're REALLY sure they're what i need... didn't have good experiences with them.)

Thanks in advance,
Markus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:37 AM

i'd get a TZ, though the SD is my all-time fave pickup.
the TZ has got lows (for mindblowing palm-mutes) and tons of mids, which give you killer leads, not too trebly or harsh, but leads that cut thru the mix.

the SD is more balanced, it's got almost equal lows and trebs, which give you really open & breathy chords, but a bit less killer leads, as i know, cause it's a bit V-scooped.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks... was leaning towards the TZ a bit anyways... think i'm gonna get it soon
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:02 PM

I think they are both great...but the Tone Zone's bass is a little boomy. The SD will have a more focused bass-mid section than the TZ. I owned both and must say for palm mutes and metal the SD is the best...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
...the Tone Zone's bass is a little boomy...
set it lower, and you'll get the right TZ sound. i've got TZs in 2 of my guitars (one of them is mahogany), but none of them sounds boomy at all. ballsy, but not boomy.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

damn... i really don't know for sure, tbh...

any plus info you might be able to use:

i dont play strange tunings (drop d and half step down is all i'll do... PERHAPS... SOMETIMES :P)

i'm the lead guitarist of our band... need crashing chords, fat palm mutes and still a screaming lead....

we play stuff like the ataris, lostprophets ... metallica ... a bit like sum41, too... but everything enriched (or butchered ) with a few metal elements...

we don't cover, i'm just trying to define our style, which might help...

..... damnit, it's not easy :P
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
i'm the lead guitarist of our band...
i confirm, get a TZ: it's got way more mids, and as everybody knows, cranked up mids cut thru the mix.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
i'm the lead guitarist of our band...
i confirm, get a TZ: it's got way more mids, and as everybody knows, cranked up mids cut thru the mix.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 PM

I have a TZ in my RG 570, and it's the best pickup I've ever heard. It can do anything. I haven't tried a Super Distortion, though. I'm thinking about putting one in my RG 550. Does it have cool harmonics like the TZ? Anyway, the EVO is really good, too, though I think you'll be extremely happy with the TZ.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
...I haven't tried a Super Distortion [...] Does it have cool harmonics like the TZ?
yep.
the SD has a very open sound with perfect balance between basses and trebles. its open sound is given by a little scoop on the mids. this cuts off a bit of lead presence, but spreads harmonics all over, also delivers very mindblowing palm-mutings and unbelievable open-tuning power-chords.

the SD is my fave pickup ever, but i think saTa needs a TZ to get what he's looking for.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

yeah, thanks...
am like 80% TZ 20% SD now

a quick record of our rehearsal yesterday (me the lead (no solo in that song )) so you can tell me more, perhaps... if you bother to listen to it (was recorded through headphones -> md player ... considering that it's a damn good quality ):

http://ringtone.zyc-page.de/downloads/Ringtone-Toller_Song_(Jam).mp3

well... have fun takin the piss outta me for that playing and confirm the TZ is what i need, pls...

i played my Ibanez JS 90th HAM (Paf Pro neck, Fred bridge) on that record btw. my amp is a 2205 Marshall JCM 800... no effects atm
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:11 AM

Tone Zone is aggressive! Big Teeth and Claws!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 11:59 AM

EMG 81's

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , double fat strat , fat strat , paf pro , paf pro neck , palm mute , pro neck , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode