get heavy - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

get heavy

i'm lookin a heavy bridge pickup for my RG 520. I'm thinking
of DiMarzio X2N or EMG Hz. Actually i wanted a EMG 81, but i'm
afraid that i don't know how to wire it! I'm looking for that thrash/heavy
Metallica sound!
your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:20 PM

EMG's are actually very simple to wire, but no more so than any other replacement pickup. The only important difference with EMG's is that your going to have to change the pots. But anyone with a wrench and 30 seconds can do that. Other than that it's standard humbucker wiring, with an Ibanez you don't even have to swap the input jack. They also plug in very nicely to the wiring with a little "input" like thing on the underside. Nothing more satisfying than that little click when you finish the wiring and plug in an EMG.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips! but in EMG there must be a battery
and where i put it? in the place where pots are? let it be
loose or glue it . do i put the wire from EMG to
pot that comes with it? and whatabout the bridge pup?
do i attach it in the EMG pot or where?
P.S sorry of these stupid questions I'm not an expert...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

so obviosly i would need some wiring diagrams.
anywhere i would find one?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:02 AM

When you buy EMGs they come with common setups wiring diagrams(EG. H/H, H/S/H, H/S/S); so I would just use those
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVmanMike
... with an Ibanez you don't even have to swap the input jack.
Why did you say that ??? Is the input jack with EMGs a clasical one ???
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

hope those diagrams are not the same as in the EMG website
Wiring Book 'cos i can't find there a match for what would
be my situation (1 Emg, 1 Passive, 1 master volume, 1 master tone,
5-way switcher!) any advices?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 05:04 PM

With regards to the input jack, EMG's require a stereo input jack because one lug is wired to the negative terminal of the battery (if memory serves me correct....). Alot of guitars only come with a mono input jack because a guitar with passive pickups only needs a mono input jack. But Ibanez guitars come with a stereo input jack stock, so it saves you the hassle of replacing it (I think that the EMG jacks won't even fit in an Ibanez or something?). As far as the electronics go, I would advise againt wiring up a guitar with part active/part passive wiring. The ONLY way to get around this would be to use one of EMG's active preamp boosters on the passives to convert them to low impedance, high output like the EMG 81. This is a big hassle, and I think that you would be better of either:
A. Wiring up the 81 as 1 vol. 1 tone, and not wiring the rest of the passive electronics up. (1 bridge EMG81, 1 vol., 1 tone)
B. Getting an EMG 85 or 89 to put in the neck, a single coil EMG for the middle. This would be fully active electronis and although more expensive than just the 81, it would save you a headache and look better IMO. If you have the dough, opt for this.

No matter what you do, I think that the actual wiring will not be too difficult of you take your time and follow the diagrams. Go poke around here and look at the diagrams to get a good understanding of what you are up against. If all else fails, shell out an extra $20-30 and have an experienced tech wire it up for you. In the end it sounds like you are after the EMG sound, and I think that after all the work of rewiring a guitar you will be very pleased with the results.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks alot for the advices. btw, my 520 has only
two hums and no singles. i probably end up
buying 81 for bridge and 85 for neck. However this
costs much more, so no pups for few months .
I still wonder if 81 and 85 both wave two pots with 'em
do i need to drill two new holes for the new pots, and what
about the 5-way switcher which i have in my 520? Does two
active emg- humbuckers and the switcher go together?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 06:15 AM

Reviews: 3
To me, EMG 81 gives you "distortion by numbers" i dont really like it, a little too thin, the X2N gives a lot more grrrr to it to me as there's a hint more midrange and the low end seems a lot less "glued in one place" plus your savin yourself all that battery malarkey but even so if you like the EMGs go for it it isnt THAT much more effort. People tend to look straight at the output when they think EMGs n ignore the actual tone of the pickup, on first inspection to most ears an evo through a practice amp sounds crap, but you notice the presence provided by the midrange and the great upper harmonic screaming you can achieve n it all changes, so make your choice, i think my favour for emg's in the bridge has gone more towards 85 now as i have a disliking for the ol' 81 in the bridge now.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pup , ibanez guitars , master tone , practice amp , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode