GFS Dream or Mean 90? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

GFS Dream or Mean 90?

i play in kind of a sludge metal band al'a Mastodon, Down, Neurosis, AIC, Black Sabbath, Celtic Frost, Lamb Of God etc. and was wondering if many of you had tried these humbucker sized p-90's and which you would prefer for this style?

If the one i get is too soft i will have salamander wind it hotter ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 AM

Re: GFS Dream or Mean 90?

Not quite what you asked, but I recently fitted a Dimarzio Bluesbucker - looks like a humbucker but gives a P90 sound. I'm really impressed with it, and it is humcancelling as well which would be useful for the sort of gain you need for the sounds you mention.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

i have heard conflicting reports on the beefyness of the bluesbucker lol
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Comparable with standard P90s. I think people who complain generally have an odd idea about what P90s sound like. It is rather like saying that all humbuckers sound the same. The Bluesbucker sounds like A P90, not necessarily THE P90 you were thinking of.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I am wanting something that will give me loads of articulate beefy low end without sounding sterile, and clean up to a smooth warmth with pick attack.

The dream 90 claims a more modern crunch but the mean 90 has much more lower mids and slighty more dc resistance (mean: 8.8k, dream:8.4k, for bridge position) acording to their reviews/descriptions.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Fair enough, the bluesbucker is a fairly polite pickup, so probably not what you wanted. How about this:
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZP-MQ.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Wait a couple weeks until NAMM and watch the Duncan new products launches. There could be something in there that interests you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

i have heard that a few times, i hope it turns out to be what i am looking for but if not... any preferences between the two gfs pickups?

the barknuckle looks similar but kinda low output, also probably cant beat the gfs price! lol (30-35$!)

Tags
bridge position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode