Gibson Pups... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Gibson Pups...

Ok... I found 3 Gibson Humbuckers at work, ironicaly in a box labeled "pickups".

They are weird and I hope that maybe someone could help me identify them...

On the back, they have the five wires soldered to lugs that are marked with the first letter of the colour of the wire. in the top right hand corner they have the words "The Original". Bottom left says Gibson USA and the bottom right says HB-R (rhythm) or HB-L (Lead)

one of the ones marked HB-L reads about 13K ohms and the other reads about 5M ohms. the HB-R reads just shy of 7K ohms

Two of the three have chome covers and the third has evidence that the cover was there at one time...

Anyone know anything about them? I can't find anything on them on the 'net...

Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

I suppose I'll have to supply a full report once I have installed them in something...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:31 AM

dude, I'm quite fond of Gibbo buckers, But for more help, Check out the Gibson forums i'd also be tempted to email gibson direct ... I've never waited more than 2 hours for a reply from them

HTH

Rob
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

OK, I asked at the Gibson Forum, and here's the reply I got:
If the back looks like a printed circuit board then they were designed by Bill Lawrence, when he was a Gibson, and fitted from the late seventies until around the end of the eighties. I have them in my April1990 SG Standard.

The design ideas were :-

To make them easier to produce,

The PCB back makes it easier to exchange a pickup as you only need to remove the wires from the rear of the pickup and it's much quicker,

All 4 coil connections are available so the same pickup could be used in guitars that have a coil tap,

They are fully potted to eliminate microphonics,

The bridge pickup "L" is @17kohms the neck "R" is @7.5kohms this means that with both pickups the same distance from the string (3/32") the volume is the same as the bridge pickup has a higher output.

NB: Do not try to take the covers off as the coil wires are joined directly to the inside of the PCB and come off very easily.

There are mixed opinions on these Pups but I have to say mine are terrific.

As far as I can find out they do not have any particular designation but people seem to know them as "PCB Pickups".

There sure are some knowlegable people around!

Tags
bridge pickup , coil tap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode