Good Pickup For Basswood/Maple Body? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Good Pickup For Basswood/Maple Body?

Just got an Rg920, and find that the pickups sound muddy, the bottom is very spongy, and the top end is a bit harsh. I initially intended to put the Breed set in it, as I had those in my Rg550, but have read around that the neck pickup on the 920 is modeled after the Breed neck pickup, how accurate that info is I don't know, and while the Breed was designed to lightweight basswood bodied guitars, my 920 is a pretty heavy guitar compared with the 550, not sure how much that has to do with it.

I generally go for the classic rock style from Aerosmith up to Guns N' Roses, but looking for a little bit of a more modern hard rock guitar sound without going for active pickups.

As you know, the Rg920 is a basswood and maple body with maple neck and rosewood board, 24 frets with an Edge Zero 2, will probably add a brass block when FU puts out a block for them (they said soon). Playing through a Carvin SX200 head with 2x12 Avatar 2x12 with a Hellatone 30 and 60 (Celestion vintage 30 and G12H30 I believe), use a Digitech RP255. I generally like the sound of the amp with my other guitars.

Looking for a bridge humbucker with tight bottom, and smooth highs, with nice mids, harmonics, not overly scooped or compressed sounding, clear and articulate with good pick attack, and sounds good with both moderate and high gain, and a neck humbucker that is good for a bluesy sort of sound and can be a little glassy when clean. I've thought about maybe an Alternative 8 in the bridge, but I'm obviously open to suggestions and video demo of similar style guitars with suggested pickups, but really only looking for Duncan or DiMarzio's, not boutique pickups that are ripoffs of the Big D's at twice the cost, like BKP or WCR... And no Tone Zone, Super Distortion, or JB's, those are like my 3 least favorite pickups lol

Last edited by Gunner4Life; 12-15-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Good Pickup For Basswood/Maple Body?

I would say EVO2 and PAF Joe/PAF Pro might be good for you
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

What about Evolution and PAF Joe?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 120

The new DiMarzio Titans will do what you are after. They are super tight, not too high on the output, so they'll be good for the classic rock, and sound great.

Don't wait for FU-Tone, Killer Guitar Components already have a brass block available. Their designs are far better thought out, and take into consideration the bridge and guitar they are going on. They may cost a little more, but they are much better.

http://www.killerguitarcomponents.co...etail?Itemid=0
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Ya know, I listened to the DiMarzio demo of the Titan, and I don't know what to think. They hav a nice clean tone, but the only demos I've seen of the dirty tone is very high gain.

Someone just suggested an Evo 2 in the bridge and a Fred bridge pickup in the neck.

I might checkout the Killer Guitar blocks, thanks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 AM

I've done a demo with moderate gain on my blog and YouTube channel. If you are familiar with the Duncan Custom the Titan Bridge is like a modern incarnate of that. It's a super cool pickup combo for sure. I strongly recommend them for what you are after. Besides those the Transitions may be up your alley too.

I'm going to try and do a bit more demoing of them too when I have some time over Christmas.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4Life View Post
What about Evolution and PAF Joe?
I don't know the original EVO, but based on the reviews from users it is a bit too harsh, too much.

I guess to pair the EVO with the paf joe will make you have an unbalanced combo.
I used to play with the pair EVO2/PAF Joe for 2 years (the EVO2 is my favorite and is in the slot since 2005) and have recently switched to the Paf pro. The Joe is very sensitive to its position if installed in the neck slot in a 22-fret or 24-fret position.
The Joe is brighter in a 24-fret RG (basswood) than in a 22-fret ash guitar (which is very bright, at least for the bridge slot).
But the pickup responce, voicing is absolutely awesome AFAIW.

The leads have been recorded with a RG550 with the Joe in the neck slot on this music:
http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy/electroshock
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Have a Custom in my Sz520, one of my favorite pickups, maybe I'll give them a try.

I'm working on getting a '94 Rg470 or '90 Rg550 that will need new pickups also, maybe Evo2/PAF Joe in that.

We will see.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 AM

Well, I read your specifications and thought that I would not respond. However, having a few basswood body guitars, I have found the High Wind Imperial Humbuckers from Lollar to be satisfying to me. If you want to have a listen to them, then you can go to the Lollar site. I haven't posted enough on here to give you the link. Anyway, good luck! Finding the right pickups is an adventure well worth undertaking.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudio View Post
Well, I read your specifications and thought that I would not respond. However, having a few basswood body guitars, I have found the High Wind Imperial Humbuckers from Lollar to be satisfying to me. If you want to have a listen to them, then you can go to the Lollar site. I haven't posted enough on here to give you the link. Anyway, good luck! Finding the right pickups is an adventure well worth undertaking.
Those sound great, but not even close to what I'm looking for. I loath finding pickups, it's a PITA to me, it's as much an adventure as being chased by a T-Rex down a San Diego street, and when you end up not liking it after installing it, especially DiMarzio's with their long skinny height adjustment springs, it's like the T-Rex caught ya.

And it would figure, I don't have the cash for it right now, I have to use these Discover gift cards I got from work, for taking part in the wellness program, but they can only be used at certain merchants, the only music one being Guitar Center, and of course the 2 by me don't carry the Titan, and it's not on their online store.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Those sound great, but not even close to what I'm looking for. I loath finding pickups, it's a PITA to me, it's as much an adventure as being chased by a T-Rex down a San Diego street, and when you end up not liking it after installing it, especially DiMarzio's with their long skinny height adjustment springs, it's like the T-Rex caught ya.

And it would figure, I don't have the cash for it right now, I have to use these Discover gift cards I got from work, for taking part in the wellness program, but they can only be used at certain merchants, the only music one being Guitar Center, and of course the 2 by me don't carry the Titan, and it's not on their online store.
Surely they can order them in for you though, can't they? Or maybe sell the cards to a work mate who can use them somewhere?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I ordered an Evo2.

They didn't even have them listed online, not even out of stock, they needed to special order the Titan from DiMarzio. I went to the store they carried ONE DiMarzio pickup, super distortion, just one pickup.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I ordered an Evo2.

They didn't even have them listed online, not even out of stock, they needed to special order the Titan from DiMarzio. I went to the store they carried ONE DiMarzio pickup, super distortion, just one pickup.
One of the things you will find about the evo2 is that you will have to be very careful where you palm-mute. There are now harmonics that jump all over the place on my guitar. It's neat and frustrating at the same time.

Your playing will also improve because you're going to be a lot more conscious of your bad habits. We all have them.

At first I was disappointed after going to this from a tone zone, but I find this pickup is a lot less noisy and much more dynamic where the tone zone wasn't anywhere near. You will be changing all your gear settings too. There is more headroom and less distortion from the pickup.

Don't be discouraged by anything I've said though. Take a couple weeks and get used to it, then see how you like them. They are different. But it will take some time to know that it's a good thing.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I ordered an Evo2.
That's what I do whenever it's time to buy a new guitar.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Well I hope that you like the EVO2, because I don't know if I'd classify the highs as "smooth". Certainly a tight sound from it, but to me it doesn't have the smooth sound of some of the older pickups.

I have one in a mahogany/maple neck-thru RGT (paired with a Liquifire) and I like it mostly, but it isn't my favorite. I've tried several modern DiMarzios and in the end I just keep going back to their older designs because I want a more open, less compressed, smoother tone.

The exception to this is the Liquifire, which is basically the best neck pickup DiMarzio has ever made IMO. It somehow manages to be warm and clear at the same time and really makes you want to play on the neck humbucker.

Tags
dimarzio , duncan , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode