Good pickup for Metal? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Good pickup for Metal?

X2N, it does exactly what your asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Re: Good Pickup for Metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Bill Lawrence L-500XL. Buy it!
You know you'll get no arguement from me

Also as someone else mentioned, a Bareknuckle Warpig. I have one in my ESP Horizon and it is just brutal!
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

evos all the way best for pinch harmonics.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledToArms View Post
personally i swear by the EMG 81/85 set even though im not a zakk wylde fan. I just really like the way they sound through my S's running through my Mesa Dual Rec.
wow ur missing out on some REAL tone
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM

i guess its just preference. i tried 3 different setups, 2 passives and this one and i liked this the best. the sustain and pinch harmonics were the best in this one and it gave me the tightest low end.

/shrug
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw_lefty View Post
D-sonic
D-Sonic without a doubt. Don't bother going active. If you want to have no tone, then feel free to go EMG.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM

meh well maybe ill try out some passives again at some point (when i get more money heh..just got an S prestige and the next purchase is a new cab) but out of the ones i tried (didnt try a dsonic though...didnt have the money to buy anymore pickups after i tried a few out last year haha) the EMGs sounded the best to my ear.

www.myspace.com/calledtoarms

that is my band to give you an idea of the style we play. C standard tuning with 0.012 to 0.058 and sometimes 0.060 strings. Some pickups i tried tended to not pick up fast picking on the low string/low fret positions. maybe you could recommend something to try at some point for what i do.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
Don't bother going active. If you want to have no tone, then feel free to go EMG.

So true! I like the Lawrence for a good metal tone but if you want complete brutal metal the X2N is it.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
i guess its just preference. i tried 3 different setups, 2 passives and this one and i liked this the best. the sustain and pinch harmonics were the best in this one and it gave me the tightest low end.

/shrug
wat passive setups have u tried...what guitars were they in, what was the wiring setup combo/spec on them....

what guitar do you use ur emg in??
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
meh well maybe ill try out some passives again at some point (when i get more money heh..just got an S prestige and the next purchase is a new cab) but out of the ones i tried (didnt try a dsonic though...didnt have the money to buy anymore pickups after i tried a few out last year haha) the EMGs sounded the best to my ear.

www.myspace.com/calledtoarms

that is my band to give you an idea of the style we play. C standard tuning with 0.012 to 0.058 and sometimes 0.060 strings. Some pickups i tried tended to not pick up fast picking on the low string/low fret positions. maybe you could recommend something to try at some point for what i do.
passive is not more expensive than active, its the same, but you are actually getting a asload more everything, but alot of stock guitars arent wired or shielded or grounded right......infact they use ****ty solder that kills tone.........passive---well every little detail related to the sound, even the quality of the potting done to the pups
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

for c tunings your going to want to go with x2n....no tone pots....if u have hxh for instance
your going to want a 3 way lp style switch, one 2 meg volume pot,
this is the only way to open up a pup for low high gain c tones

in anycase, you can always go with two 1 meg push pull pots and get coil tapping

but adding a tone pot in drop c tuning radicaly lowers the pups response and dynamic attack

so i mean i just recomend using a single tone pot with no value lower than 1 meg....but a 2 meg pot with x2n pups can drive lower than c..its what people use for baritone guitars usually when they use a x2n type pup
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
personally i swear by the EMG 81/85 set even though im not a zakk wylde fan. I just really like the way they sound through my S's running through my Mesa Dual Rec.
i love emg 81/85.absolutly wicked
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 PM

for playing metal, I'd recommend active EMGs, other than that, X2N all the way.

Tags
bare knuckle pickups , baritone guitar , basswood body , bridge pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimebag darrell , duncan distortion , duncan invader , ebony fingerboard , floyd rose , meg pot , mesa dual , palm muting , pinch harmonics , rosewood neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncan distortion , tube amp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode