Good pickup for Metal? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Good Pickup for Metal?

I need some help finding a good bridge pickup for my Ibanez, I need something that has a high output, but isnt muddy. I tune 1 1/2 steps down.
I was thanking about a Seymour Duncan Invader. does anyone know anything about this pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Good Pickup for Metal?

This thread should be moved to the pickup section.

Jimmy
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

my bad, I had no clue where to post this Q.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Good pickup for Metal?

I need some help finding a good bridge pickup for my Ibanez, I need something that has a high output, but isnt muddy. I tune 1 1/2 steps down.
I was thanking about a Seymour Duncan Invader. does anyone know anything about this pickup.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:59 PM

Re: Good pickup for Metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
what guitar will this pickup be going into?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

It is going into my rg270
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Angry Re: Good pickup for Metal?

I like for my sound to be punchy, and I am not a fan of active pickups in my guitars (tried them and hated them with a passion). I got a SD 59 for the neck. I tried a dimebucker out in the bridge but it wasnt what i expected. Just have to get rid of the originals 8 years with them is enough to drive a person crazy.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 7

The invader is kinda love it or hate it. I love it, great pinch harmonics. Probably my favorite pick-up when it comes to squeals actually. They just jump out of the guitar with this pick-up. I play metal mostly and it takes care of that.

I've had it in both basswood and mahogany and they both take to it pretty well.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I like to do pinch harmonics, And I do alot of palm muting. Do these pickups tend to be trebely?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM

the invader definitely wouldn't be a bad choice. it's got crazy high output, and the focus of the sound is more towards the low mids, so it's fat and chunky without getting into a woofy, indistinct low end. the duncan distortion is also a great choice, though in terms of tone it's almost in direct opposition to the invader; it's focused more on the high-end, but not in a shrill or thin way. it's got a lot more scream, and is very lively in terms of harmonics.

if you're not completely set on duncans, dimarzio has a few humbuckers that would also suit you very well. the super 3 is an awesome choice, and you'll find it near the duncan distortion output-wise but a bit more musical to my ears. the super 3 has a really interesting mid-range that, through a very high-gain amp, gives you a lot of punch and depth. the x2n is a killer, and if you're interested in doing metal and metal only (i.e. you won't really find yourself rolling back the volume for clean-ish tones) you'd be hard-pressed to find a pickup that'll give you more metal than the x2n.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyperfection View Post
the invader definitely wouldn't be a bad choice. it's got crazy high output, and the focus of the sound is more towards the low mids, so it's fat and chunky without getting into a woofy, indistinct low end. the duncan distortion is also a great choice, though in terms of tone it's almost in direct opposition to the invader; it's focused more on the high-end, but not in a shrill or thin way. it's got a lot more scream, and is very lively in terms of harmonics.

if you're not completely set on duncans, dimarzio has a few humbuckers that would also suit you very well. the super 3 is an awesome choice, and you'll find it near the duncan distortion output-wise but a bit more musical to my ears. the super 3 has a really interesting mid-range that, through a very high-gain amp, gives you a lot of punch and depth. the x2n is a killer, and if you're interested in doing metal and metal only (i.e. you won't really find yourself rolling back the volume for clean-ish tones) you'd be hard-pressed to find a pickup that'll give you more metal than the x2n.

the invader has a less compressed tone and not much in the dynamics, but has chunkly tone, in some cases really muddy if you are playing high gain and does not have note definition

the x2n on the other hand is all out compression and gain and sustain notes, but it requires a less warm guitar to scream or you develop too mcuh warmth and the pup mudds out....if u are using basswood body with maple/rosewood neck and a floyd rose you might not like it too much, if you have it on a alder or maple body with a maple/ebony fingerboard with ss frets and a hardtail, youll like it more

the pup likes punch rather warmth....and when it comes to cleans, the x2n has some of the most cleanest marvelous cleans there is, that is if you know how to wire it CORECLY, it rolls down even at 1/5 volume can have some HIGH GAIN cleans

the x2n is posibly the best pup you can use(low pot volume) for electric-acustic cleans if u have a good acousitic pedal thats where its at
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Dee

Bill Lawrence L-500XL. Buy it!
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM

D-sonic
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 18

My vote would go for a Bill Lawrence XL500 or Seymour Duncan JB (thinking about that nice Megadeth tone in Rust in Peace).

Jimmy
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 PM

bl xl500 is more like a cleaner warmer metal pup, but for all out compression and gain and dynamics with substantial har monic drive its all about x2n

Tags
bare knuckle pickups , baritone guitar , basswood body , bridge pickup , coil tap , coil tapping , dimebag darrell , duncan distortion , duncan invader , ebony fingerboard , floyd rose , meg pot , mesa dual , palm muting , pinch harmonics , rosewood neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncan distortion , tube amp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode