good pickups for rg2570e and mesa boogie f-50 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

good pickups for rg2570e and mesa boogie f-50

after playing for a year, im starting to really hate the sound im getting from the dimarzio ibz pickups, just wondering what pickups sound good on a basswood guitar?

btw i play stuff from godsmack, megadeth, black label society, stone sour, metallica, satriani so if i could get a similar tone to them, that will be awesome.

the amp im using is a mesa boogie f-50 amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Re: good pickups for rg2570e and mesa boogie f-50

Dimarzio D-Activators are great for metal. They are supposed to be based on actives, but they are far better than any active pickup I have heard/played.

Check out the review on the Guitar world site if you want to hear them in action.

Rock on!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 AM

D-Activators, Breeds, Tone Zone/PAF Pro, there are a ton of options. You just have to find whats right for you.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 AM

Lightbulb Re: good pickups for rg2570e and mesa boogie f-50

For kinda music you mentioned my guess would be Seymour Duncan Invader. Metallica used it on Master Of Puppets, Pantera also. I have it on my RG750 and it sounds awsome, powerfull, strong, with more "natural" feel than active pickups. One thing to keep in mind..if your amp has muddy distorsion..high output pickup like Invader will make it much worse. But if your amp has clean defined distorsion Invader will give it power and force
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Talking Re: good pickups for rg2570e and mesa boogie f-50

DON'T make fast opinions listening to every comment..like my example:
on Marshall Valvestate 100 every high out pickup sounded muddy and crappy..so I spend a lot of time finding good medium out pu..I settled with Air Zone which is great. Thought: high output pu sucks.
After some time I bought a new amp: Tech 21 Trademark and liked it a lot!! It sounded better than valve amps they had in the store everything great..but damn!..it lacked high gain for metal stuff! So hungry for power..I put this Invader beast inside my RG and await for mud and noise to come out..but NO!! on Trademark it sounded defined powerful quality sound!! My mind went duh??!? Then I tried it on Marshall..same pickup sounded like muddy crap! :P
..POINT OF THE STORY..people will argue on forums if some pickup sucks or it's brilliant..and not even know that it sounds that way cause of their amp or some other thing
Or people will write in comments on amps like Trademark that it has clean, defined nice overdrive but weak..don't even think metal with it ..and not know that that same clean overdrive makes possible for a real heavy pickup to sound really defined HEAVY..STRONG..just "RIGHT"
There are a lot of false ideas by simple people..guy see Stevie Ray Vaughan on Strat and Vai on Ibanez and deduces cleverly : You can't play blues on Ibanez, you NEED a Stratocaster! LOL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

anyonre more suggestions? and if you you know where i could listen to some audio samples that would be great as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM

Sounds like you might like some EMG's or Seymour Livewires (Mustaine versions would be my choice) since most of the players you mentioned use them.

I personally go for the more "organic" sound myself from passives. To me, the cleaner the pickup the more your touch, FX, guitar and amp come thru without being colored.

Here's a quote from a review on a Limited RG20063 with IBZ/Dimarzio pups that I thought was interesting:
"I emailed Dimarzio to see what standard Dimarzio pickups these Dimarzio/IBZ pickups were similar to. Got a response from Larry Dimarzio himself stating that they are made specifically for Ibanez, but that the closest standard pickups would be the Super Distortion bridge and the Steve Morse model neck."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Sound samples are also a tricky thing. If you listen to 4,5 different samples of the same pickup you'll get the idea just how good or bad same pu can sound depending on song, tehnique, feel of the player, amp.. Just a touch of delay can sometimes make you believe one pickup sounds better than other. For example..sample of Air Zone on Dimarzio.com sounds so much bassier and less modern than on my guitar and amp. Why? It's recorded in the neck position of Les Paul on some vintage amp..put it in bridge od RG->Van Halen :P I hate AZ sample on dimarzio.com and love AZ sound on my RG and amp. So much about sound samples on internet
Only thing the same on the sample was general smoothness and warmth of AZ. So take sound samples just like some "general feel". Don't think it's more than that. Or else we could all just put Evo in our guitar and have Vai sound..tried it and was like NO NO NO..it actually sounded worse for my setup than most other DiMarzios. I think it's more like Vai>Vai amp>Vai effects>Vai guitar>and Evo like a strawberry that goes well on THAT particular ice cream..on yours maybe some chocolate would taste much better
www.dimarzio.com (pick a pu and click on SOUND button)
www.youtube.com (make a search with name of pu..you'll get something
www.seymourduncan.com (click products-electric-sound..their examples are made without effects, without backing track etc. just one same riff, and it don't sound close as good as dimarzios from songs..but you can hear how it really sounds and make some decent comparison atleast, much more honest way of describing pu sound I think)

Last edited by RG550BW; 10-10-2007 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

alrite thanks guys, so im gonna research more on the following
dimarzio
emg
seymours

Tags
backing track , basswood guitar , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , duncan invader , larry dimarzio , les paul , marshall valvestate , mesa boogie , neck position , output pickup , paf pro , ray vaughan , seymour duncan , steve morse , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , super distortion , tone zone , valve amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode