Guitar picked up the radio lol help? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Guitar picked up the radio lol help?

Hi all,
Something quick.

Last night, I was playing at high volume, fairly high overdrive and I noticed that in positions 2 and 4 my pickups where picking up the radio!
It was faint, but there.
I don't really get any extra hum on any selection but that scared me.

I tracked it down to the guitar since when I turned the volume down it stopped.

Is this normal with this setup?
Tone Zone, HS-2, Air Norton.
Ibanez RG1570.

I wired it according to how dimarzio told me, I have no other problems so im guessing this can just happen from time to time?
Since there is no humming, no difference if I ground myself or touch something else then its just the power of the humbuckers after they have been put in " single coil mode " ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Re: Guitar picked up the radio lol help?

What station?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 AM

A Few years ago we were taking a break and we could hear a phone conversation through the bass players amp. This was before everyone had a cell phones so I think it picked up the frequency of someone's cordless phone.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM

My old Crate GX15R used to randomly pick up CB radio conversations between truckers, loud and clear.
I'm tellin' ya, there's nothing funnier than wailing away on some song, and then out of the blue, you get this clear and distinct, "breaker breaker one nine..." stuff in there.
Same amp used to occasionally pick up transmissions from police band shortwave radios, and it liked this one Chinese radio station. Radio waves are very interesting things. Sometimes, they just float around out there aimlessly, just waiting to be picked up by any device with a speaker and a mass of wires to act like antennae.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 4

That seems like a grounding issue.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Our KB player has a fairly elaborate setup and she gets the local spanish statin when the volume pedal is down.

I used to get the same thing with my old crybaby when the conditions were right.
You figure your cable is a big antenna, you have different coils that are big, fat inductors, but they are a tunable coil, then an amp, you have some simple but effective ways to grab a radio signal.

Anyone ever make a crystal radio from scratch?
Pretty amazing.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:25 PM

My other guitar player and I always pick up radio stations at our practice space. we have for about all 5 years we've been a band. its funny how normal it is now for us anytime we stop playing haha
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM

yeh my old crybaby would pick up radio too.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Reviews: 12

Hmmm, I have had amps back in the day pick up all kinds of strange radio interference, but never the guitar. I love when stuff's not grounded properly and you go to sing, put your lips to the mic and…

POW!!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
Our KB player has a fairly elaborate setup and she gets the local spanish statin when the volume pedal is down.

I used to get the same thing with my old crybaby when the conditions were right.
You figure your cable is a big antenna, you have different coils that are big, fat inductors, but they are a tunable coil, then an amp, you have some simple but effective ways to grab a radio signal.

Anyone ever make a crystal radio from scratch?
Pretty amazing.
Furthermore, you're plugged into an amp, which is then (ostensibly) plugged into a wall socket (or plugged into something that is then plugged into a wall socket). Under the right circumstances, this effectively turns your entire house (or whatever) into a very large and highly effective radio antenna. I'll do you one better...if you were able to harness the potential of said massive antenna, attach, say, a mic to the equation, and work under fairly controlled circumstances, you'd have the world's largest and most ridiculously complicated HAM radio setup. That is, you'd be able to have two way conversations with anyone capable of sending and receiving signals across the same bandwidth. This is all relatively elementary stuff.

Wasn't there a bit in This is Spinal Tap about this?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Satch picked up a radio station when he was recording "Flying in a blue dream." You can hear it on the record in the beginning of the song.

I read that SRV used to record while playing in a chicken wired booth that would isolate his guitar from radio signals.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Hmmm, I have had amps back in the day pick up all kinds of strange radio interference, but never the guitar. I love when stuff's not grounded properly and you go to sing, put your lips to the mic and…

POW!!!

lol

and this, boys and girls, is why we don't do certain things with our microphones. I'll give you a hint...it starts with "F" and sort of rhymes with "to date".
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 PM

The guitar cord could have a short in it. That's happened to me. Try another cord. And you could try shielding the guitar compartments where the wiring is (behind the pickups and at the input jack).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

lol interesting debate. Glad to see it run for a few days.
Well, im fully grounded ok, everything is shielded.

I think you right, it depends on the conditions, building and cabling.
First time I heard it, not heard it since so I guess it was the conditions.

Cool tho!!

Oh, to save another thread, quick thoughts on a HS-2 versus Blue velvet?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 PM

^No, please, DO start a new thread

Tags
air norton , coil mode , tone zone , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode