Guitar Wiring Help! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Guitar Wiring Help!

I recently bought a Dimarzio Evolution Bridge and Neck, and a Dimarzio HS-3, now I was gonna just wire them into my already existing tone and volume pots, but I decided to buy new ones, since I figured my baby needed a tuneup, so I bought 500K pots and some resistors and capacitors, and I dissassembeled the previous pots, and I think I have my wires crossed now that I have the new ones in, because I plug my guitar in, and absolutey no sound comes out at all, How do I go about getting completely new wiring for just the output jack and the pots, do i need just a standard
pos(+) and neg(-) , or is a certain kind needed, and also is a capacitor really necessary? Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM

Re: Guitar Wiring Help!

The cap is only needed for the tone pot(although sometimes you will see a very small cap accross the in/out lugs on the volume to keep things bright as you back off the volume). If you can't figure it out by using the DiMarzio diagrams or copying another similar guitar, I would just take it to a local repair shop and pay them the hour to wire it up. I don't know what the resisters you bought would be used for. Did you buy these parts from a music store or a radio shack? If you google "guitar wiring" you may find some help there. If you were near nashville, I could help you but TX is a little far. If you still want to tackle it, best to remove everything and start from scratch. Maybe just wire the bridge PU to the switch and volume pot. Once you get that much working, start adding the other stuff. Your name (RG270L), does that refer to a lefty guitar? If so, you might want to order reverse taperpots for a left handed guitar or they may not work quite the same as the old ones(audio taper pots work different in reverse-righty pots in a lefty guitar will be reverse taper).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Re: Guitar Wiring Help!

Try using the Ibanez wiring diagram for the guitar you're trying to match such as a JEM layout.

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

Albee has made some good points and suggestions on how to narrow down finding the problem.

Sounds like you don't have a open circuit going there.... so check you have all grounds required in the diagram. You will need a DMM (multimeter) for this.

As far as jacks.... the standard one will do fine.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution bridge , evolution bridge , ibanez wiring diagram , left handed guitar , music store , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode