H-S-H with Pan Pot - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By j.arledge
  • 1 Post By Tuga666
  • 1 Post By FireEagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

H-S-H with Pan Pot

Went and saw a really good blues band at a local venue last Friday, the Jeremiah Johnson Band. I was talking to Jeremiah during the intermission, mainly to find out what kind of neck pickup he used (Lollar?) because it sounded so good, but he said his guitar was wired kind of different. He is a Delaney endorsed artist and mentioned that his custom guitar is wired so when the 5-way is on the neck pickup he has a pot that can bring in the bridge humbucker. Anyone ever heard of this wiring or have an idea how to do it?

Also... if you like the blues, check out the guy:

https://jeremiahjohnsonband.com/

Really good tight band, solid great-sounding blues guitar with some cool licks here and there... but the sax player killed it all night! Great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Re: H-S-H with Pan Pot

i had a similar setup in a project RG/JEM that i added a 3rd humbucker to. I wired a mini-toggle in so i could add the bridge to whatever position i was on. I had the 5 way wired up strat style just with humbuckers so there was wasn't an option to do neck and bridge. was an easy mod to do. You could do the same with an extra 1 meg or no load volume.

the easiest way to do it is to find the hot out from your switch and then just run a jumper from the bridge pick terminal of the switch. So on a spdt mini toggle one of the outside terminals will be your bridge pickup hot, the center will will have a jumper between the other outside terminal. This will be for both your hot switch output and your tone control output. This means you are always on and just adding the bridge when you want to. The configuration would be similar for the added volume pot. Unlike the master volume you wouldn't ground out one of the outside terminals.
FireEagle likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Take a look at this video. You could do something similar. Starts at 3:25

youtube.com/watch?v=KWDcIL8Enwc&t=215s
FireEagle likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
i had a similar setup in a project RG/JEM that i added a 3rd humbucker to. I wired a mini-toggle in so i could add the bridge to whatever position i was on. I had the 5 way wired up strat style just with humbuckers so there was wasn't an option to do neck and bridge. was an easy mod to do. You could do the same with an extra 1 meg or no load volume.

the easiest way to do it is to find the hot out from your switch and then just run a jumper from the bridge pick terminal of the switch. So on a spdt mini toggle one of the outside terminals will be your bridge pickup hot, the center will will have a jumper between the other outside terminal. This will be for both your hot switch output and your tone control output. This means you are always on and just adding the bridge when you want to. The configuration would be similar for the added volume pot. Unlike the master volume you wouldn't ground out one of the outside terminals.

Sorry, I sort of fell off the planet for a while. Thanks for the great reply... Sounds like a logical way to do it. I have a cheapo strat pickguard to play with, so I can wire it up with some extra pickups and swap it into my Iba-strat at next string change. Awesome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
Take a look at this video. You could do something similar. Starts at 3:25

youtube.com/watch?v=KWDcIL8Enwc&t=215s

That's a great idea too... Hmm. Thanks!
Tuga666 likes this.

Tags
lollar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode