H S H Wiring issue - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

H S H Wiring issue

Hi,

Images below

Let me start by saying I've never actually wired a guitar before haha.

Ive set up many guitars but this wiring business is new - I think it is time to learn.

I picked up a used s5470. I beleive it has a stock pickup in the neck and middle - there is a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge. This is the one I am having difficulty with - no sound. Consider the following. (x means no sound)

position 1 forward through 5

1 hhxxx
2 xhsxxx
3 xxsxx
4 xxsxx
5 xxxxx

How the Fred is wired: Black and white together, Green and plain to the volume back, red to the far left of the 5 way switch. - But no sound. When I wiggle the pickup a bit there was a bit of sound yesterday but nothing today.

Is the pickup faulty? Can it be fixed?
Is the wiring wrong?
Is my 5 way switch dead in this position? How can you tell?

Side note: I want to buy a soldering iron - for small jobs like this - how many watts is needed.

Thank you for any time you spend with your response.

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img842/5927/imgp9560.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img849/486/imgp9561h.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img715/1861/imgp9564v.jpg]

Last edited by psp777; 01-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: H S H Wiring issue

I found this wiring diagram. Although not my guitar the idea is the same. Im not home right now but looks like the black and white from the FRED should be going to the 5 way switch in the third location - what do you think? I have read that black and white are just to be linked together and not to the switch - this diagram shows otherwise. But the other wiring is different so I don't think this will be the fix. - maybe I just need to rewire it cleaning - it looks a mess

http://imageshack.us/f/691/rg1570mod6.gif/

EDIT: Doesn't work

Last edited by psp777; 01-19-2013 at 11:11 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM

I don't think you should go by that diagram. I've never messed around with those Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups but from that diagram I think they have different wire color scheme than regular Dimarzios',could be wrong about that. Someone please correct me if that's wrong. The first thing I would do,if you aren't certain the pickup works is disconnect it from the switch and wire the red to positive on the jack and green and bare to negative on the jack and plug into your amp.
When the black and white wire are on the selector switch they are grounding out one of the coils in a particular switch position making the humbucker into a single coil pickup of sorts.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I re-soldered the red wire with a very old and low watt iron - Im getting sound but think there is issues in red wire as it cuts in and out
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 AM

That could be from a bad solder joint,better round up a good soldering tool.

Tags
h s h pickup wiring s5470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode