Had enough of Evolutions, any suggestions? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Had enough of Evolutions, any suggestions?

So I have been using Dimarzio evolution's, dp 158 & 159 on my ibanez rg1570 ( they came loaded with guitar) for 6 months and i just had enough. Picks up all the sounds, the sharp mid edge destroys sustain, and just harsh. Also muddy on drops but i got over it. Also, the edge that blocks sustain, is still there, even if i put the tone knob of guitar to 0, my distortion pedals treble to 0 and mids and treble of my amp to 0, still that high end noise is there.... Although it really improved my technic and my ears, ( basically i can tune a guitar with absolute accuracy, to any tuning, and set perfect intonation with my ears, and can get difference between all 9 commas just by ear), it's never going any better after a certain point. Now i am looking for a cheap, simple way to get rid of at least tht high end. İ heard that people use 250 k pots ( not sure volume or tone) too smoothen up the high end. I use a low profile, which sucks here because pickups wont move more then 1 mm, what should i do? İs there any simple/ cheap solution to get better out o it or should i change it, later when i save money? Or just keep it like that, learn use the dam bad horsie 2 wah better and play like vai one day? All help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: Had enough of Evolutions, any suggestions?

my 1570 has evos and i love it.
play mostly through peavey 6505+ or line 6 gearbox.
i do have to scoop my mids and it rocks.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM

What amp are you using?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 2

I LOVE the evo's in my 7Vwh so much, I had them installed in my RG3120F this spring.......and I'm loving them in that guitar too. I never really found them to be harsh and shrill at all, and I love how responsive they are.........they truly sing. I play them through a SLO100 (rehearals,gigs) or a Crate G60XL (living room). What amp are you running???
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM

There are several inexpensive and easy way to change the sound of your Evos.

You could change your 500k vol/tone pots to 250k vol/tone. This is from Dimarzios FAQ section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio
Regardless of what type of pickups are in your guitar, higher potentiometer resistance values produce a little more power and treble response. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is a matter of individual taste. In the early days, Gibson used 500K controls and Fender used 250K, thereby starting the single-coil = 250K, humbucker = 500K theory. Even though neither company has stuck strictly with this formula since then, the theory lives on. You wonít damage your pickups or your amp by mixing and matching different value controls, and one of our current favorites is a 250K volume control and a 1 Megohm tone control, EP1202.
You can always wire them parallel instead of the normal series way. Evo neck is the best neck pickup I have ever heard. Its split/single coil sound is better than any single neck pickup I have ever tried. Over the last 30yrs I have played I have tested many.

You can run the HB in spilt mode also. Get yourself a 5-way Megaswitch and get a boatload of switching options.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 2

the first thing I would do is lower the pickups. If your action is too low to get the pickups far enough away....shim the neck and raise the bridge.....then you'll have plenty of room to lower the pickups (in effect, your raising the neck, bridge, and strings away from the pickups)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I rarely use my own am here. My avt 20 is ****ty, i admit, but i dont use it much. The jcm 2000 dsl is doing the job generally, which i pay by hour. The problem, is i end up scoopin all treble on the amp to get a desirable sound, also play with volume and tone knob, while playing with heavy distortion. I have my little sansamp gt-2 clone to run trough mixer and stuff. (altough it's best to use trough amp). The problem i encounter is out there with many amps. I think it's just not my thing. Presence is something i really don't like. I hate playing with high profile actually. Adjusting neck is a nice idea, if it's like how i think. Direct mount pickups wont move much. Highering the profile is also possible, but destroys attack and legato, which i do a lot. Parallel wiring hmm, how well that works that for distortion? Problem can also be mid heavy amps i use, even tough i have tried scooping mids.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 AM

It's your rig, not the guitar.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

İf it doesn't sound good with a marshall lead, there also other amps i have tried, like dual recto and engl fireball. If it doesnt sound good trough these, which are totally impossible for me to affor my whole life, then what should i use? Fender twin?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM

I wonder if it was wired right?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I actually wondet if it's placed right
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok pattent seems like it's upside down. Basically, when i hold the guitar,neck is up and body is down, shouldnt i be able to read? But i cant
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM

On the Bridge pickup, the wire is coming out of the pickup at the bridge side going towards the knobs.
How is it wired up as well?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Well it seemed ok, just some ****ty soldering of green to volume knob. Ground seems ok. As for switch, red wires closer to bridge, white & black closer to neck side. Btw i lost some parts here to put the pickup in it's place... ****...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Reversed the pickup, highered the profile a bit, now it sings beautiful. Sound more middy, harder to capture some harmonics though.

Tags
dimarzio , evolution , ibanez , pickup , rg1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode