Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Half a humbucker...?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  slimegod 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just installed a new humbucking pickup in my UV, and it doesn't really....sound the way I'd expect it to, as in it sort of doesn't sound like a humbucker at all. At times it SOUNDS sort of like only one coil of the humbucker is actually "on." Is it possible for me to have miswired this such that only one coil of the humbucker is active?

Thanks.

#4 ·
you can check if a coil is on by gently tapping it with a metal screw or screwdriver while it is pluggld into your amp.

the tapping will be louder if the coil is working.

check your wiring if the tap test doesn't work. there are wiring diagrams all over the place here, or you could call dimarzio tech support...they are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

~k

#6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. it's a Lundgren M-7. it came with a wiring diagram stating what color the wires were for the slug and screw poles, but not which color is the start and which is the finish end. So i made some assumptions based on the way my X2N-7 was wired, and thought I'd figured out which end is which...but maybe I was wrong. I have an email out to Johan @ Lundgren, but his mailbox is full so...trying to figure this out myself. I'm installing in a UV7BK, using the standard original UV wiring diagram, which is what I used when I swapped out the Blaze bridge for an X2N-7 last year. I think I probably wired it wrong, but don't want to go and "trial and error" it without some new information. So...we'll see what happens! i really doubt this pickup is supposed to sound this way, it's supposed to be pretty brutal, even compared to an X2N-7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.