Has anyone tried coil-tapping an Evo 2? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried coil-tapping an Evo 2?

My new custom guitar's gonna have an Air Norton neck, Cruiser mid, and Evo 2 bridge. I know someone who tapped the Air Norton and said it had a GREAT tone tapped. Has anyone on jemsite tried/had an Evo 2 tapped? Curious as to how it'll sound, although I guess I'll find out by the end of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Re: Has anyone tried coil-tapping an Evo 2?

Here's an easy way to do it if you(like me) never use the tone knob. Run the black and white wires that get soldered together(for standard humbucking) and attach them to the center lug on the tone knob. Remove the cap and ground one of the outside lugs. When you roll the knob back, you bypass one coil. Works great and does not require any drilling or push/pull pot. Which outside lug you ground will determine which way goes to single.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

I tried a push pull pot (500k) to an EvoII and it worked fairly well. It had it installed on a single hum customized RG so I could get more than one different tone.

this is the axe it WAS installed in:

~Bones
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 4

I coil-tap my Evo 2 in a Super-5way wiring system. Haven't (nor will I) try it "alone".

Does it sound good?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM

It sounded a little thin (to be expected) but was a nice diference in tone since my axe only had the one humbucker.

~Bones
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ah mine's gonna be wired straight into my custom guitar , push pull.

I'm not hopin' for any kind of amazing cleans (tapped Air Norton in the neck and Cruiser middle will do that just fine), I was just wondering what kind of a clean sound it gives ya, glassy, shimmery, etc. I'll let the board know on Thursday when I pick this bad boy up!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
It sounded a little thin (to be expected) but was a nice diference in tone since my axe only had the one humbucker.

~Bones
try using a 1 meg instead.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Ah mine's gonna be wired straight into my custom guitar , push pull.

I'm not hopin' for any kind of amazing cleans (tapped Air Norton in the neck and Cruiser middle will do that just fine), I was just wondering what kind of a clean sound it gives ya, glassy, shimmery, etc. I'll let the board know on Thursday when I pick this bad boy up!

when u wire it up, try to wire the single coil u want to work, strait into a (example) 1 meg volume pot

and play it, if it sounds thin on teh single coil then theres no need to install a pushpull coil tap cuz youll most likely want just the hb mode cuz u like those pups u selected

i say try a coil on its own, wichever one u want durring the coil tapping, dont like it, dont wire it

but if u want to have a set of pups of ur desire...then id recomend wiring with coil tapping becasue if u tap one coil from ur neck and one from ur bridge, the two pups with mismatched signal output and impedence always give to great tone

just like those humbuckers with one coil hotter than the other....always a good thing for some players

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , coil tap , coil tapping , custom guitar , norton neck , pull coil , pull coil tap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode