Has anyone tried the Dimarzio Virtual PAF? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the Dimarzio Virtual PAF?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of Dimarzio Virtual paf's. Has anyone tried them? What did you think of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 AM

I have a set currently in an RG 550 and I really like them...The response is really tight on them...and they seem to have a good bit of warmth..

Virt-PAF Bridge / Virtual 2 / Virt-PAF Neck

Wired straight series...no split coil..

They replaced EMG 85 / EMG SA / EMG 85 on the 550..

I am thinking of moving the V-PAFs to my RG520QS tho and putting the EMG's back in the 550.. I think the 85s work very well with the maple neck / Basswood body...

I think the Virt-PAFs will compliment the Mohagany / Rosewood and give me a tight sound with nice sustain....and I'll keep the default 520QS switching strategy..

I have the EMG-DG20 pickup package (EMG SA) on an American Standard Strat and I really enjoy that as well...

EDIT--- The Virt PAFs sounded really bad in the RG520QS... very brittle... I was shocked..... took them out and I will put them back in the 550....
I may try the EMG 85s in the RG520QS but....not sure yet...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 07:52 AM

I'm interested in how they sound, compared to the PAF Pro.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:25 PM

The V-PAFs seem to have a tad less high end than the PAF Pro... and a tad more bass response..but the response is tight....

It lends a more "throaty" quality than the Pro maybe...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
I'm interested in how they sound, compared to the PAF Pro.
less output than the pro,also has a more vintage tone overall, the V paf's do not have that "wha in the middle" tone.
the V-paf sounds to me like a duncan 59 with a bit more warmth
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Doesn't really sound all that appealing to me, now. I like that "wha in the middle" tone, in the Pro, but, maybe I'll try one some time, just for the hell of it. I'm thinking about replacing the JB, in my Warmoth, so, maybe I'll give one a shot in there.

Does Dimarzio give a 30 day trial , like Duncan? I've never purchased a new Dimarzio, that wasn't already in a guitar, before.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Doesn't really sound all that appealing to me, now. I like that "wha in the middle" tone, in the Pro, but, maybe I'll try one some time, just for the hell of it. I'm thinking about replacing the JB, in my Warmoth, so, maybe I'll give one a shot in there.

Does Dimarzio give a 30 day trial , like Duncan? I've never purchased a new Dimarzio, that wasn't already in a guitar, before.
yes if for any reason you dont like the pup DIM gives you a replacement for
at least 30 days
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM

Cool. I'll try one in my Warmoth, when I have the extra money.

Tags
bass response , basswood body , dimarzio virtual paf , maple neck , paf pro , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode