Has anyone tried these? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried these?

Anyone tried these yet? They look prety cool.

http://www.q-tuner.com/gl-6-dm.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Re: Has anyone tried these?

This one looks like dessert.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post

The info below this picture on the site seemed pretty bizarre. I'm not saying it's BS, but I'd really like to hear from someone that's used them before.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Dee

Well, I've been looking into Q-Tuners for many years, but I have yet to hear a decent sound clip of them. If you do a search you will find threads/posts on here. The problem is, the sound clips on the website are not good enough, and I mean this with no disrespect to the guy who made them, he's a great guy who is also a Jemsite member, but they were done using modeling amps (by request of Erno, the main Q-Tuner guy). I have emailed Erno many times over the years and asked for decent sound clips, preferably done with a "real" amp, but I was never satisfied with the answers I got and there is no way I am shelling out such a large amount of money for a product that I have no confidence in buying. This appears to be the same way other people are thinking too. So... it doesn't matter how great the few people who bought them say they are, barely anyone is convinced and Q-Tuners don't sell as well as they (possibly) should.

Oh, one other thing: I am not sure about the pole spacing. I think they will work fine with an Edge / Floyd equppied guitar, but they probably don't line up under the strings properly. Maybe it's a small point, but it won't look great. I know, I'm nitpicking.

Last edited by Dee; 02-07-2008 at 07:38 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM

they certainly look funky.

I'm gonna listen to the clips later.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM

hi there. Superb pickups - I did the demos on the site for the overdriven samples and have been using them for a while now in my Jem. Really clear and loud. They do sound excellent through an amp, but as Dee said, they were recorded through an amp modeller (V-Amp pro to be precise) - Erno either wanted it recorded guitar straight into PC, or modeller/preamp to PC. I'm in no way a tone fiend, and sound pretty much the same whatever I use, but I agree demos through a mic'd amp would definitely be cool - a Cornford or such - but I ain't shelling out for one of those

If you're interested, there's a couple more tracks with them on at my myspace:

www.myspace.com/benswanwick

The first 2 on there are with the q-tuners - the first one (with lego in the title) is more of a proper song as I normally try and record - and is all q-tuners apart from the 8 string rhythm guitar. The 2nd one (with feet in the title) is just silliness solely with the q-tuners.

I've recently revamped my gear (partly as my amp blew up and was not worth the price it'd cost to fix!) and now have what I've wanted for ages, a Digitech 2120. Haven't recorded anything yet, but when I do I'll post it; might be a preferable tone.

hope that helps !

Ben

EDIT: the songs are myspace are still using the v-amp, but aren't (quite) full-out widdly-widdly like the demos I recorded are...hopefully shows a bit more of what they can do.

Last edited by vibetronic; 02-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post

{blinks twice}

That is one of the most bizarre pickup creations I think I've ever seen.

Again...

Thanks for the link to the clips, I'll check 'em out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Dee

Yeah, definitely odd looking, but quite cool! I love the look of the regular transparent Q-Tuners (same, but without the funky black stuff on top), they are the best looking pickups I've seen.

Ben -- cheers for posting the link to your MySpace (sent you a friend request -- Planet X). I'll check the music out in a bit when this album I'm listening to has finished.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Reviews: 21

Qua?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM

On a semi-related note...

The funky black stuff is some kind of ferrofluid, which is a fascinating liquid. Check out some ferrofluid videos here
http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

Beautiful stuff!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM

Hey vibetronic nice myspace
I like the clips
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 AM

Indeed. I like the music you have there.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 AM

Really cool looking. I'd be interested to hear some clean clips too to see how these sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode