Help with Blue Velvet wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Help with Blue Velvet wiring

I just wired a tone zone in the bridge, a PAF Classic in the neck and a Blue Velvet in the middle. The blue velvet has a black and white wire. I left all the other stock electronics in place. A put the black on the switch where the old Red one went and the white one on the volume pot with the other grounds. I get sound from the tone zone and Paf classic but not the blue velvet. Any ideas why? Also the diagram on dimarzio said to solder the black and whit together and tape them on he humbuckers so that is what I did. I didn't connect anything to the switch where the white on the switch for he old ones were. I put green and bare together and soldered to volume grounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help with Blue Velvet wiring

This is on an RG 570.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 AM

try checking the resistance on the pickup with a meter,

my first thought would be the connection from the blue velvet to the switch is a dodgy joint but could be lots of other things too.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
try checking the resistance on the pickup with a meter,

my first thought would be the connection from the blue velvet to the switch is a dodgy joint but could be lots of other things too.
Good call. I got my multimeter and went to check the blue velvet and found that the connection had come undone. Soldered it back on and all is fine. It seems strange that I wouldn't put the black and white from the hums on the switch. I do not hear much of a change when in positions 2 and 4. I can barely any change when the neck Paf and middle are on together.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM

The black and white from the humbuckers act as a drain and sort of knock out one of the sides of the humbucker to make it a single coil.
If you get a big drop in volume in positions 2 and 4 on the switch, flip the wires on the single coil. Take something metal and tap on the magnets on the pickups in each position on each coil to make sure your getting the right coils on in each of the five selections.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
Good call. I got my multimeter and went to check the blue velvet and found that the connection had come undone. Soldered it back on and all is fine. It seems strange that I wouldn't put the black and white from the hums on the switch. I do not hear much of a change when in positions 2 and 4. I can barely any change when the neck Paf and middle are on together.
Soldering the black/white together and leaving alone is for a 3-position switch configuration where you're not splitting the humbucker coils in positions 2 and 4. If you have a 5-way switch the black/white wires from the neck and bridge get soldered to poles 8 and 6, respectively, on the switch (I may have these reversed). Try soldering the black/white from bridge to pole 6 instead of ground and see if you get your coil-splitting. Also, the aforementioned "click test" where you tap the pole pieces on the pickup to see which are active is also a great diagnostic tool and will tell you if your humbuckers are really splitting.

Hope this helps,

Race
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The black and white from the humbuckers act as a drain and sort of knock out one of the sides of the humbucker to make it a single coil.
If you get a big drop in volume in positions 2 and 4 on the switch, flip the wires on the single coil. Take something metal and tap on the magnets on the pickups in each position on each coil to make sure your getting the right coils on in each of the five selections.
Thank you my friend.. looks like I wired it correctly. I did what you said and everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
Soldering the black/white together and leaving alone is for a 3-position switch configuration where you're not splitting the humbucker coils in positions 2 and 4. If you have a 5-way switch the black/white wires from the neck and bridge get soldered to poles 8 and 6, respectively, on the switch (I may have these reversed). Try soldering the black/white from bridge to pole 6 instead of ground and see if you get your coil-splitting. Also, the aforementioned "click test" where you tap the pole pieces on the pickup to see which are active is also a great diagnostic tool and will tell you if your humbuckers are really splitting.

Hope this helps,

Race
It does Race, thanks. I tested the way Sebastian above said to test and it works correctly. I used this diagram off of Dimarzio's site for the RG1570. They didn't have one for RG570 so I figured this was the closest one and it has the black and white soldered together and then taped off so they are not connected to anything but themselves. Should I try connecting them like you mentioned? If it is working now what would that do? I don't understand how the 5way switch works. When I tested the way Sebastian mentioned in position 1 (for me that is bridge only) I've got both sides of the bridge tone zone working. Position 2 I have both sides of the bridge humbucker and the single Blue Velvet working together. 3 has just the SC. 4 has both sides of the neck humbucker and the sc working together and 5 has both sides of the neck humbucker working. Here is the diagram I used:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...RG1570mod8.pdf
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM

You need the black and white on the switch at the same spot for the coil tap to happen in positions 2 and 4.
You don't want 3 coils on at once.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You need the black and white on the switch at the same spot for the coil tap to happen in positions 2 and 4.
You don't want 3 coils on at once.
There it was... After reading your post I went back to the same wiring page on Dimarizio's site and found the correct diagram according to what you said so I could see which posts on the switch to connect them too. Put the soldered together black/white on the switch and now I have the inside coil of the Humbuckers along with the SC playing on positions 2 & 4. Sounds much more distinct now. The TZ sounds good on this guitar... no mud to me as I have read it could produce. Livened up the Metallic root beer 570 a bit too although the pic is bad. Thanks everyone:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Glad to hear you got it!
BLUE KNOBS-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad to hear you got it!
BLUE KNOBS-
I was just getting ready to PM you and ask you where to get them. Did a search on google and couldn't find any.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode