HELP! Can anyone tell me about the VLX91 switch? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Can anyone tell me about the VLX91 switch?

I have an RG202X that comes with the 4 pole VLX91 switch. It has 4 poles, and 6 lugs for each pole.

What I'd like to know is (largely coz my multimeter died on me), if the switch is placed upright, say, on a table top, which lug is lug0, and how how are the remaining 5 lugs numbered?

Is it:

Or:

Would appreciate if someone could shed some light.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 AM

would that it were that easy! the lugs go up one side and down the other.

check out the Ibanez wiring diagram for the 2020 [or the 2027, they should be the same]. it shows both sides of the switch in separate pictures and you can figure out which is which.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi Scott, thanks!

I did try looking at the wiring diagrams on the Ibanez website, but before I could decipher anything, I got stuck at figuring out the wire color codes for the V7 and V8 pickups.

On a non-reversed polarity V7, can I say, the hot wire goes into the north coil, the green wire comes out of it, then connects to the south coil, and finally the white wire comes out of the south coil to ground? Is this correct?

I think the V7 has the magnet reversed, hence the hot wire is green instead of red, and the ground wire is black instead of white.

Can you help confirm/correct my understanding?

Thanks!!!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

To further add,... the reason I'm messin' with the wiring is, I'm changing the stock pickups (V7/V to Duncan Jazz and CC.

I have reversed the magnet in the Jazz (neck) so that it will be humcancelling when split and made parallel together with the bridge pup's north coil.

Instead of completely rewiring the RG2020X from scratch, I'm thinking of replacing the wires one for one. Meaning,...

V7 Red -> Duncan Black
V7 Green -> Duncan White
V7 Black -> Duncan Red
V7 White -> Duncan Green

Am I correct?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnico5
I think the V7 has the magnet reversed, hence the hot wire is green instead of red, and the ground wire is black instead of white.
flipping the magnet does not change the wire codes, it only changes the magnet polarity (North or South). (if you have a Duncan neck model, you might not need to do this, it might be flipped already -- check to be sure. DiMarzios don't come in "neck" and "bridge" models, so they have to be flipped).

changing the hot and ground wires like you describe above changes which coil is "first" and which is "second." this will change the phase when running in full humbucking mode, but it can also change which coil is on in coil cut settings, depending on what other wiring you've got going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnico5
Can you help confirm/correct my understanding?
not without studying the diagram! but this will help -- i dug up an old schematic of mine where i had numbered the VLX poles. see http://www.his.com/~sha3u/gear/vlx91.jpg .

using this, i'd recommend you go back to the diagram, pick an easy position like neck humbucker full on in position 1, and start figuring out the wires from there. in neck humbucker position with the Special 5 wiring, the hot will be connected to the hot switch output, the ground to ground, and the two wires that are the series link will have to be connected together by the switch.

as for V7 --> Duncan wire codes, check the Wiring 101 column at http://www.stewmac.com/ . translating DiMarzio to Duncan should work, assuming the Ibanez pickups use the same color codes as DiMarzio (anybody know for sure?).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Scott, thank you so much!!! That diagram of the lug numbering is a god send!

Tags
bridge pup , ibanez pickups , ibanez wiring diagram , neck humbucker , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode