Help with Dimarzio wiring... Kinda... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Help with Dimarzio wiring... Kinda...

I recently installed a DiMarzio Fast Track2 in the neck position of my Tele along with a GFS Lil' Hot Puncher in the bridge. I used this diagram: http://www.dimarzio.com/Text/Wiring/...ayMultiple.pdf From Dimarzio's website.

The positions are supposed to be: 1 - Neck Humbucking, 2 - Inside Coils in parallel, 3 - Both pups full humbucking, 4 - Outside Coils in parallel and 5 Bridge Humbucking.

I get 1 - Neck, 2 - front coils in parallel, 3 - both humbucking, 4 - rear coils in parallel, 5 - Bridge

I need to know how to reverse the the neck pickup electricaly so that it works the way it should be, but still be in phase in position 3 so that it doesn't sound aniemic... (sp?)

Any info would be appreciated.

Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Re: Help with Dimarzio wiring... Kinda...

No problem. You just have to reverse the two black wires on the neck pickup side of the switch. It's all in that upper quadrant. So the little black jumper that goes from pin 2 (neck side) to pin 4 (bridge side) needs to go to pin 4 (neck side) and leave the bridge side alone. Then the jumper that goes from pin 4 (neck side) to the "other" pin 4 needs to go over to pin 2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
No problem. You just have to reverse the two black wires on the neck pickup side of the switch. It's all in that upper quadrant. So the little black jumper that goes from pin 2 (neck side) to pin 4 (bridge side) needs to go to pin 4 (neck side) and leave the bridge side alone. Then the jumper that goes from pin 4 (neck side) to the "other" pin 4 needs to go over to pin 2.
Somehow I knew it would be frankfalbo to reply... Thanks!

I have an additional ?...

From what you describe it appear that the four outer-most lugs, where the white and black wires from the pups go and the link that sends the signal to the pot are not counted. Am I correct?

The black jumper you are refering to, is it the one that goes to the back of the pot?

If I rotate the picture in the diagram so that it's vertical, I get this:

Neck hot goes to lugs 8, 9 and 10 on the left side
Bridge hot goes to 6,7 and 8 on right side

Could you re-iterate what to change as I'm having trouble picturing what you explained...

Sorry to be brain-dead... If you're ever in Vancouver, I'll buy you a beer...

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 08:35 PM

When I say "upper quadrant" I mean the top left in your rendering above. Yes, I didn't assign any number to the outer lugs, those are the constants. So if we use your numbers as they're listed above, the first jumper I'm referring to goes from 04 to 20 currently. Change that to go from 02 to 20. The second jumper I'm referring to is going from 07 to 02 currently. Change that to go from 07 to 04.

The short and easy way to say it is to swap the wires on 02 and 04.

Sorry for taking the long way around, but sometimes it's hard to know just how to say something so it will be received properly. Plus I was typing your response from church this morning in between music sets, and I was being told it was time to go play, so my attention was kind of split.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing it all up... I'll tackle it later and let you know.

Trevor

Tags
bridge hum , neck pickup , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode