Help installing my new evos into my RG770DX - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Help installing my new evos into my RG770DX

A few months back I bought a red RG 770DX that was missing its pickups and that had generally been messed around, not sure if it still has original tone and volume pots etc.
So I've bought a full set of Dimarzio Evolutions out of a Jem 7 VSBL - They are white, perhaps not the best choice of colour for a red guitar but I figured I'd buy them and if the colour didn't go I'd just get new covers.
The pickup selector switch in the guitar when I got it was a 3-way so I'm guessing the previous owner installed this, I was just wondering if I should put a 5-way back in. Should I get a Dimarzio one? Do expensive pickup switches improve a guitar at all? Also would changing the pots help the sound? I'm realy into gadgets so I'd like to put in a push pot type thing or any other suggestions of gadgets would be cool.
Anyways my main request is a diagram of how I should wire these pickups in, I want to do the job myself but just don't know where to put which wires.

Any advice on new pots/gadgets would be greatly appreciated. I love the feel of this guitar, I just wanna get the sound sorted then start really kitting it out!

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Re: Help installing my new evos into my RG770DX

The dimarzio website has loads of possible wiring diagrams on it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:09 PM

If I were you I'd definitely put a five-way back in, otherwise you'll miss out on some lovely tones - although you could go for push-pull pots to split the humbuckers and keep the 3 way I suppose, or go for a five way and push-pull pots, but then you wouldnt be able to wire the five way like a jem, as that already coil-taps the humbuckers in certain positions. If you want to wire it like a Jem, then this is the place to go for wiring:

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/models.asp?t=e

hope this helps,
regards,
Rich
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for all the info, I'm gonna probably get a 5-way. Should i get a dimarzio one or just an Ibanez one? I want a really good one, is there much difference?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:16 PM

Dimarzios are fine, and probably easier to get hold of.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , pickup selector switch , pickup switch , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode