Help! Lifeless rg570 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Help! Lifeless rg570

I have a dilemma. A friend of mine was getting rid of guitars and GAVE me an rg570 from 1990. I was so stoked when I got it. I already owned a rg1570 from 2002, which at that time had a super wizard neck, which was a little too thin for my hands.

The 570 has a slightly wider neck and fits my hand really well... The only problem is the guitar just sounds dead to me. The pickups are V1, S1, and what I believe is an IBZ pickup with a plastic cover(not stock). Every position on this guitar sounds really nasally.

It doesn't compare tonally to my 1570 ,which has a fat buttery tone and sounds very good loud and playing with my band. The 570 just sounds bad when I play with a band. Its ok for bedroom practice. The pickups are abit clearer than the 570 and making tight riffing and getting harmonics easier, but other than that, it is dead.

I think the problem might be that the body of this guitar is slightly thinner and definitely lighter than the 1570.

Anyway, while trying to get the mystery bridge pickup back in phase with the neck i ruined the bridge pickup. So, I need to replace the bridge pickup, because I might want to sell this guitar, but if someone here could recommend a bridge pickup that could get rid of some of that nasal sound and give the guitar some life I would appreciate it and maybe I wouldn't need to sell it.

I'm not sure why it sounds so nasally, if it is from too much mids and very little treble and bass or if it is the inverse, too little bass. This guitar is only suitable for gain right now as the cleans sound really blah compared to my other guitars.

So I'm not sure if I need a bridge pickup like the Breed or Steve' Special. I'm also considering the PATB-2 from duncan. Any thoughts?

Would a brass block help the tone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Re: Help! Lifeless rg570

With that bridge pickup, it was a mercy killing!

What pickups are you using now?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi Sebastian. I still have the V1 and S1 in the rg570. I busted a string when I put the trem back on and I wanted to get a new bridge pickup before I bother restringing it.

If I could get a "Scenes From A Memory" or Metallica "black" album tone from this axe it would be great. I don't need to go heavier than that, but I'm wondering if I can get any kind of usable clean sound from it. With my Prestige rg1570 I can get a nice clean sound in the notched positions for songs like "Sultans of Swing" and Weezer's "Say it So." The rg570 is very nasally sounding. Even with gain and my amp cranked it sounds indistinct. I'm hoping someone could recommend pickup changes that could make it sound fuller. It just might be a dud.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Super Distortion or a Breed. Maybe even an EVO2.

Tags
dead , lifeless , pickups , rg570 , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode