Help me choose pickups! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Reviews: 5
Help me choose pickups!

Hi!
I know there are thousands threads about it, but I want your opinion before I get something that won't get along well with my guitar.
I have a JEM505 - basswood body, maple fretboard. I play it through a Blackstar HT Stage 60. I will replace all my pickups because i find dimarzio - ibz a little muddy. I like the sound of Vai, Petrucci, Santana, Steve Morse and Satch.
The neck pickup is my main pickup and is used for soloing. I want something that will be responsive, harmonically rich and with great clarity. Of course Evolution first came to mind, but I'm afraid it will be too mid-rangy, because my amp has loads of mids.
For bridge I want something really metal. Basically used for riffing, but i want it to have a good sound for soloing - right now i can't stand the sound of bridge pickup when soloing .
For middle single coil i want something hum-canceling, but not a mini-humbucker. It will serve the main purpose in combination with neck pickup for nice clean, but i want to have a nice lead sound.
Allright then what's your thoughts?

Wish you and your jems happy holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Re: Help me choose pickups!

You could try the other main pickups in the passive realms, like Duncan.

I found them to be great all around pickups and lead could be a JB with '59 in neck. A stacked single coil can give you the middle pickup. Of course it won't sound the same as DiMarzio and Steve and Joe, but they are still very versatile. The setup may be considered a little anemic for metal but with the right amp and effects I don't think anybody will know the difference that you are using basically a classic 1970s Jeff Beck setup which was the hot rodded electric guitar sound of its day.

I sometimes find later setups like the hard core ceramic humbuckers, or overwound alnico humbuckers, found on many 80s/90s guitars a little harsh and midrangey, especially when clean. The versatility of the '59 which is just a tad hotter than a plain Jane PAF and the JB which is only a little hotter than that, make a good enough case for ramping it up while still keeping the sweet clean tones non-metal players like. The JB and '59 are about seventy bucks each. Having a JB/'59 combo will be just like a lot of guitars that find them as standard equipment right off the shelf, but being common doesn't make them bad. Another similar combo is the JB/Jazz where the Duncan Jazz, which is still perfectly suited for hard rock and another PAF variant, is a great and often common OEM combo.

If the JB is not quite aggressive enough, then you can try the Duncan Distortion which is still acceptable clean, too.

With the Duncan route, at least you are not going out on a limb financially and going with Fralins or Bare Knuckles.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-28-2013 at 06:34 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Thanks for suggestion, I'll take into consideration, however I still kinda find Dimarzios more overall suitable for me.
P.S.: I'm never ever gonna use bridge pickup for clean so it can be an ultra high output one.

Last edited by M.V; 12-28-2013 at 06:30 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.V View Post
Thanks for suggestion, I'll take into consideration, however I still kinda find Dimarzios more overall suitable for me.
P.S.: I'm never ever gonna use bridge pickup for clean so it can be an ultra high output one.
Duncan distortion, which is basically like a better high end character version of the DiMarzio Distortion.

If you want to blow the doors off, I heard Duncan Black Winter delivers the goods as does their standard LiveWire humbuckers. Nothing gives you the DiMarzio sound better than Steve's DiMarzio setups he uses in his top of the line guitars.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-28-2013 at 06:42 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Duncan Distortion/Dimarzio Liquifier
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclogston View Post
Duncan Distortion/Dimarzio Liquifier
What about the middle? How does Duncan Distortion compare to D Activator or X2N? How does Liquifier compare to Illuminator or PAF Pro or Evolution?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
M.V

Really? Nobody else?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 10

I'm with 63BLazer - the Duncan JB & '59 combo is still tops in my books. I know Dimarzios rule this site but I have yet to find a bridge pup that makes me as happy as a Duncan JB and the '59 is the perfect match in the neck. If you are hell bent on getting Dimarzios then you could try the PAF 36th anniversary series. I have a set of those in one of my RG's and I also have the PAF 36th neck pup in another RG combined with a Airzone in the bridge and I really like that combo. Air Norton is a popular neck pup but I like the PAF 36th better.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

good ol' super distortion.

jezuz, that should be my sig I've said it so many times

last guitar I modded with a Super D and a Fred in the neck. Its my new fave combo.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
M.V

How does super distortion compare to D Activator for bridge?

Tags
dimarzio , jem505 , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode