Help me pick out pickups for a vintage-sounding RG550 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Help me pick out pickups for a vintage-sounding RG550

So, I have an extra RG around the house and I'm thinking of rewiring it for a different sound. I have a JEM7VWH and an RG570FM with Evolutions. I also have a strat that has a great sound but, of course, will never play like a wizard neck. So here's my idea: drop lower output "vintage"-sounding pickups in an extra pickguard and try to get a strat sounding RG.

Per the sticky at the top:

RG550
24 fret, maple board
Basswood body, pickguard mounted pickups
Original Edge trem
Sounds a bit "dark" with the DiMarzio's currently installed.

Suggestions?

Last edited by jem7vwh; 07-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Help me pick out pickups for a vintage-sounding RG550

Either the Eric Johnson set or a pair of DiMarzio 36th anniversaries

OK...

Having read the post again, if you want vintage strat sounds, I'd go for three DiMarzio "Areas".
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Fender Texas specials or whatever they're called? Fender SCNs?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 PM

Do what I did-
Fender Texas Specials
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And Sebastian, that looks almost identical to what I was planning, except with a maple board!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 130

Texas Specials will sound great... Also look at the Dimarzio pre-wired Area pickguards.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Either the Eric Johnson set or a pair of DiMarzio 36th anniversaries

OK...

Having read the post again, if you want vintage strat sounds, I'd go for three DiMarzio "Areas".
Hands down....best suggestion all day.

The 36th can sound VERY strat like (when split) if you order them with the 4-wire config. The bonus is that they're more versatile if you need "more" out of the same guitar.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Funny.. I have a RG570 that I was thinking about cleaning-up it's sound a bit. As I have several other guitars all which have hotter pu's. I'm too stuck on getting a pair of 36th anniversaries. I am a concerned though they will be a bit "thin sounding" with the trem? I've heard this complaint with the PAF Pro which I would assume is a bit hotter than the 36's? Anybody running a set of 36's in an RG now?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Do you want singlecoils or humbuckers? Texas Specials aren't bad - the middle position is my favorite "traditional" singlecoil I've tried. The vintage stagger irritates me, but if you want Strat-y sounds out of a dark RG550, they might do the trick.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM

For a vintage Strat type sound: Seymour Duncan SSL2. Good shimmer, chime, and beef with some gain. The A5 magnets should brighten things up.

For a slightly more powerful bridge pu, a Twang Banger is good, which has a copper plated steel baseplate, giving a more Tele style vibe.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM

suhr have got some nice vintage style pickups, and if u want hot vintage, they've got their aldrich signature set! although they were designed for a LP/mahog body, so dnt know what they'd be like in basswood?!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
For a vintage Strat type sound: Seymour Duncan SSL2. Good shimmer, chime, and beef with some gain. The A5 magnets should brighten things up.

For a slightly more powerful bridge pu, a Twang Banger is good, which has a copper plated steel baseplate, giving a more Tele style vibe.
Yeah, I've been thinking of putting a Twang Banger in the bridge position of my Strat, but then I look over and seem my RG550 and think "What if..?"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. And Sebastian, that looks almost identical to what I was planning, except with a maple board!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking of putting a Twang Banger in the bridge position of my Strat, but then I look over and seem my RG550 and think "What if..?"
Hehe. I suppose my only beef with the Twang Banger is that it doesn't appear to come with flat poles, and with a flat radius axe like a 550, the D and G strings might end up being louder than the rest. You'd probably have to go Custom Shop for flat poles, which means extra $$. Great sounding pu though - adds muscle without taking away the Strat vibe.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Do you want singlecoils or humbuckers? Texas Specials aren't bad - the middle position is my favorite "traditional" singlecoil I've tried. The vintage stagger irritates me, but if you want Strat-y sounds out of a dark RG550, they might do the trick.
Then would you say with the proper capacitance (aka 2 tones and a vol or at least a capacitor pretending to be 3 250k pots) a middle Texas special will be able to pull vintage tones on a basswood rg or jem?

Right now Im sort of wanting what the op wants, atm I have just an evo and liquifire with no middle but I'm thinking about just making the middle a one trick pony for bluesy tones. But I'm thinking about changing the neck pup to something more versatile if the middle can't do it.

Tags
550 , pickups , rg550 , vintage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode