Help Me with Pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Help Me with Pickups

I want to create a sound which incorporates the tonal qualities of John Petrucci's playing, as well as Joe Satriani's.

What I mean by this is that i want that clear tone the Petrucci gets, as well as having the cool harmonic screams that Joe is so popular for.

My rig is as follows

Ibanez RG320fm- basswood, 2 ring mout humbuckers, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard
to
Standard Crybaby->Satchurator->Fender Frontman 212r
FX Loop: Delay (To be Determined)

My original thoughts were to have a Crunchlab in the bridge and a PAF Pro or Joe in the neck, but im not sure, and would appreciate input from the Jemsite community here.

I am not too particular on the brand of pickups also.

Last edited by DownHomeRock; 01-04-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Help Me with Pickups

really comes down to what kind of qualities from these two players you want to combine. If you like quacky pentatonic solos that satriani plays alot than Paf Pro/Joe in the neck will be good. If you like long note leads and fast picking on neck pickup a'la Petrucci, Liquifire is a better choice. When you play fast alternate picking with paf pro, those quacks are more pronounced and sounds less smooth. As for the bridge, it's a similar story. If you want to do more of a chugga-chugga rhythm, get the Crunch Lab. Joe's pickups are more midd-rangy which is nice for lead but can sound boxy unless you scoop the cr*p out of it with EQ
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

So really, I cannot combine the two? Just one or the other. Hmm...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM

well, they are quite different. You can try to get something in between, but it would be a compromise on both sides. That's why I suggested picking one of their pickups for bridge and the other for neck, based on your preference. I think you can safely mix and match any combination CL/MoJoe/Fred with any of AirNorton/Liquifire/PafPro/PafJoe
Cheers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Buy a Fred/Mojoe and a Crunch Lab along with an Liquifire and a PAF Joe. Then take the pickups appart and take combine the coils to get a hybrid of the two sounds.

If that sounds like too much work, consider a Mo Joe / Tone zone in the bridge, and a PAF Joe / Liquifire in the Neck
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Tone Zone probably won't have the clarity he's after, I have it and it's very fat
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM

I agree with you there, it's very very fat, but can be made to sound awesome with the right amp eq. I mentioned tone zone because it's a pickup John used to use, and it has some nice Fred things going on.

As for the mo joe, that pickup has an interesting eq. I initially thought it would just be a hotter fred, but in reality it's a whole different beast.

Taking some time to think about it, a double norton setup could nail this guys goal, the norton is right between the Fred and Tonezone, so it's gonna get elements of that satch lead, along with some nasty crunch petrucci's know for.

Up in the neck it would retain aspects of both players. Smooth like John with the right eq setting, or guttural and quacky like satch when needed
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Reviews: 6

I've got a Paf Joe in a basswood RG. I hesitated with the liquifire. I think the liquifire sound is really the solo sound of Petrucci, especially in the song on the Back of Angels.
The Paf Joe has a more balanced EQ, and has slightly less output.
I truly love this pup, but it's not really intended to shred soloing. Nevertheless, I'm able to have some cool sounds from it, even when I'm shredding.

So if you want more midrange (probably more cut through the mix, which is helpful if you play in a band with 2 guitars) go for the Liquifire (Actually the Joe can also cut through the mix, but it has less midrange). If you want to be able to get some vintage sounds on one side and cool satured tones on the other one, go for the Paf Joe. As SpikeSocietySucks said, the Paf Joe is a bit quacky, but not that much, just great (IMO at least). The Joe EQ on the DM website shows it has a lot of treble, but it's really balanced, there are not that much treble, the low frequencies can be intense depending on your sound when you play above the 12th fret of the 2 low strings

Hope this helps!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:35 AM

Cool Re: Help Me with Pickups

One more, to get an idea of the Paf Joe in my basswood RG550: listen to that piece of music, the 2 lead parts (right and left) are both with the Paf Joe:

http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy/no...ose-2011-11-08
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

what do you guys think about a fred in the bridge and an air norton in the neck?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM

For sure you will not get the JP sound with a fred. It as pretty much treble, and will lack on the outpoint point of view, IMO.
I've a fred in a swamp ash Kawai Aquarius, this is what I get.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

i was thinkin i would get satch's bridge tone, and be ableto get petrucci neck tone with the ability to create somethig else if i want to. I am thinking that the fred/Air norton combo is what im looking for.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

that should be pretty versatile combo, why not
the biggest issue will be palm muted rhythm because fred is middy and you'll need to scoop it quite a bit. Since it's less powerful even than Steve's Special, you'll be left with not much after scooping mids
If you don't care about that it'd be fine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Well my solution would be get a 2nd guitar, Like an RG 550,570,750,770,520,3120, and Put the CrunchLab and Liquifire in the one guitar and a Mo Jo/Fred PAF Joe in the other guitar then use the guitar that is called for depending on the sound that you want combining the two together doesnt really work well you end up with a lesser combo no matter how you combine them. Good Luck
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
Well my solution would be get a 2nd guitar, Like an RG 550,570,750,770,520,3120, and Put the CrunchLab and Liquifire in the one guitar and a Mo Jo/Fred PAF Joe in the other guitar then use the guitar that is called for depending on the sound that you want combining the two together doesnt really work well you end up with a lesser combo no matter how you combine them. Good Luck
I had the notion of doing so. I plan to have a Warmoth guitar built somewhere down the road, so eventually i will do this, but for now i would rather spend $140 or so and just get some really versatile pickups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode