Help ! Pickup recommendation for HSH - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Help ! Pickup recommendation for HSH

Hi! I just bought an Ibanez s770fm which has a pickup configuration- HSH. I run it through a blackstar ht 5r 5w tube amp with a maxon od 808. However I'm not happy with the stock pups. I really want to replace the stock pups.

I play mostly heavy metal, thrash, death, progressive etc. But I also play Blues. I really want the new pups to be versatile yet extremely good in their own rights.

For the bridge I'm pretty sure I'm getting the distortion sh 6 because I really like the sound it gives.I'm not quite sure about the middle and neck pups though. Well, I think I'll be getting the jazz sh 2 for the neck for really good, warm blues tone I'm looking for(alternatives welcome!). Now the problem is I'm not at all sure about the middle pickup. I want a medium output pup with very good cleans for soloing as well as neat distortion leads, much like Malmsteen's in Black Star. But it also must give me Joe Satriani, Blackmore (highway star solo kind of), and Gilmour-like tones. I had a look at dimarzios - true velvet, area 58 etc but I'm not not convinced.

Please help, any advice is appreciated.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Help ! Pickup recommendation for HSH

If you are a Duncan fan you might like a Pearly Gates Neck, and a YJM Fury in the middle position (neck model).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you are a Duncan fan you might like a Pearly Gates Neck, and a YJM Fury in the middle position (neck model).
The pearly gates is really good. Can it deliver those warm 70's tones.? What do you think about the Tone Zone.? And the YJM's are good but are'nt they very hot.? I mean for a single coil middle pup.?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't think you'd want a Tone Zone in the neck. It's pretty much exclusively a bridge pickup. Although a few have tried it and liked it.

YJM neck is pretty hot for a single, definitely, but it's surprisingly versatile. I reviewed the set for Seymour Duncan on their blog recently. Was really impressed with them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I don't think you'd want a Tone Zone in the neck. It's pretty much exclusively a bridge pickup. Although a few have tried it and liked it.

YJM neck is pretty hot for a single, definitely, but it's surprisingly versatile. I reviewed the set for Seymour Duncan on their blog recently. Was really impressed with them.
The duncan YJM's are unavailable here in india and ordering them would get expensive (custom duties, etc etc,). However, the Dimarzio YJM's are. The dimarzios dont sound impressive. I was thinking about the Duncan Hot Rails. What do you reckon.? Is it any good.? Coupled with the sh 6 in the bridge, will it be an overkill.? I'm looking for a hot output pup for solos, so that I can quickly switch from the bridge to the mid without rolling the volume knobs. ???

Tags
hsh , pickups , s770 , sh 2 , sh 6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode