HELP PUP Swap - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

HELP PUP Swap

Hi. I'm new to the site. I just bought a RGR420EXRAR. It's a beautiful guitar and plays great. However, I am not impressed with the V8 bridge pickup. It has an awesome metal rythm sound but it is HORRIBLE for lead. I am looking for a brighter pickup with more sustain and harmonics. I have looked at many pickups and think I have it down to the Evolution, Evo2, or Breed. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. My major influences and style of playing are based from Michael Angelo Batio, Herman Li, Sam Totman, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

Also, I do like the V7 neck pickup. But there is always room to improve. I use this pickup more than the bridge pickup as I play lead more than rythm. Any advice for the neck pickup would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Re: HELP PUP Swap

The Breed is by no means a bright pickup; it's very warm and fat.

Out of the artists you listed, I know that both Dragonforce guitarists and Steve Vai use the Evolution bridge, John Petrucci uses the D Sonic, and Yngwie uses the HS-3.

The Evo2 is a great pickup. It's got all the harmonics and dynamics of the Evolution, but with a rounder top end to take away the shrillness that many dislike from the Evolution.

I think you'd like an Evolution neck pickup in the neck and an Evo2 in the bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: HELP PUP Swap

For neck go PAF Pro or Evo neck. For bridge, go Evo 2.

Tags
angelo batio , evolution bridge , evolution neck , michael angelo batio , sam totman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode