Help upgrading Jpetrucci with sd p rails, how to wire? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Help upgrading Jpetrucci with sd p rails, how to wire?

Hi,

I've changed custom petruccis for p rails and i know how to connect through two push pulls to take advantage for p90 and single coil according to the sd 1v1t diagram, its easy but jp6 has a circuitry inside and it seems complicated to me cause i dont know how to connect the push pull pots to the circuit and mantain the 4 sounds plus the piezo, anybody has done a sd upgrade to petrucci? please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Help upgrading Jpetrucci with sd p rails, how to wire?

Alright---this will work, but we need more info.

What pickups are you trying to install?
What guitar is this?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi, i'm trying to install a pair of seymour duncan shrp rails, and my axe is a perrucci 2006 w piezo but without push pull. I'm trying to get all the functions from the prails, i mean, p90 and single coil separated by adding one or two push pull pots. The sd diagram shows how to do it in a very easy way in a classic 1 vol 1 tone pot guitar but the problem here is that the jp has a circuit inside besides the piezo, and i dont know how to connect to take advantage of the several tones of the pups and the musicman circuit. Any help will be very appreciated!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Just connect the SD pickups to where the stock pickups were--that simple. If you take a moment to visit the proper wiring thread, you'll see this sticky at the top with all of the wiring info and color codes you need:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/an...ad-110579.html

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, i know thats the easy way but as i mention in my question i want to add push pull pots to get several tones from the pups, thats the problem i cant solve.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyleresco View Post
Thank you, i know thats the easy way but as i mention in my question i want to add push pull pots to get several tones from the pups, thats the problem i cant solve.
There are links in that thread that have diagrams for push/pull pots.

Please look through them--it saves us the time of drawing it up for you.

Go to:
guitarelectronics.com

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM

I think know what you mean: the circuit on the back of the selector that the pickups are soldered to before moving on to the pots in this diagram? http://www.thehybrid.net/EBMM/JPcoiltap.jpg

If so, I'd recommend taking that out and replacing it with a regular three-way like in the Seymour Duncan diagram.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ils_1v_1t_tspp

I can't remember exactly how the piezo circuit meets with the passive circuit in the Petrucci but it should be relatively easy to maintain the piezo side while changing the passive side, and just making sure all relevant output/ground wires are connected.

Last edited by Petie; 07-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
There are links in that thread that have diagrams for push/pull pots.

Please look through them--it saves us the time of drawing it up for you.

Go to:
guitarelectronics.com
The P-Rails is a combined humbucker, P-90 and single coil so there are many different ways to wire it to get the most out of it. For example. you can use two push-pulls to get access to series, parallel, P-90 and single coil modes, or you can use a three-way mini toggle or Triple Shot mounting ring for each pickup so that you can select the mode of each pickup individually (e.g.: bridge single coil + neck P-90, or bridge humbucker + neck single coil).

Personally, if it was my guitar I'd probably add two mini three-way toggles and use one push-pull pot as a phase switch, but that's just me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes! Thats right, i own those two different diagrams linked but the main problem is to mix them to get a two push pull diagram with the musicman circuit, im not an engineer and as far as i an see i must do a mod to adapt them both because the musicman diagram has only one push pull pot. Any suggestions?

Tags
jp6 , piezo , sd p rails , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode