Hi-Pass Filter trick (I'm an idiot) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi-Pass Filter trick (I'm an idiot)

I had a revelation today. I am a total idiot for not thinking of this sooner. It's so simple yet so usable. I don't like the HPF's because, although they're cool for using your volume knob like a gain knob, or a clean/crunch adjustment, I often play clean jazzy solo stuff with the tone control down. The problem I have is when you've got the tone knob down, and you're working the volume knob, you get a crappy sound because at the tone knob you're cutting the highs, while on the volume side you're letting the highs pass through while reducing the lows. You're sucking "tone" from both ends. If you have a neck single coil it's even worse. Here's my solution:

Instead of having the Hi-Pass cap jumping across the switch hot lug and the volume output lug, I run it through the tone pot. First, the wire that leads to the tone knob has to be coming from the switch hot (1st lug) not the output (center lug) and the tone knob has to be wired in the stock "modern factory guitar" fashion, with the wire from the pot going to the center lug of the tone pot, and the capacitor going from the right lug to ground. This leaves the left lug of the tone pot open. We will use that left lug. The little capacitor that jumps the two lugs on the volume pot needs to be removed from the switch hot lug only leave it connected to the center lug. Finally jump a wire from that open lug on the tone pot to the newly disconnected capacitor wire.

*Here's what it does:
When you have the tone knob all the way up, there's no change. The pickup hot is feeding 100% through the Hi-Pass cap to the center lug, and everything is as it was. But as you turn the tone pot down, the Hi-Pass cap becomes less and less "connected" to the pickup hot (due to the tone pot's resistance increasing) and therefore allows less and less "Hi-Pass" filtering to occur. Eventually, when the tone knob is all the way down, the Hi-Pass is disengaged. I did it today on a RG550 and it's awesome. It now makes the tone knob totally usable even when you're also playing with the volume knob! If anyone can tell me that there's a problem with this, I'm glad to listen, but I don't think there is. If it's been invented before, I appologize! Theoretically, I imagine that a 500k tone pot is ideal, since you want as little coloration as possible when the tone pot is at "10" but I don't think it really matters.

I am both a genious and an idiot. If only I could invent some sort of "Genious-Pass filter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 PM

No matter how you fiddle with it, having a cap in the signal line will suck tone. Filtering pulls out some freqs regardless. Here's another solution: rip out the tone knob and all the caps. Then you have a completely flat response coming out of the guitar. Play with the tone all you want at the amp, IMO.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hi-Pass Filter trick (I'm an idiot)

Um, not necessarily. You're right about a tone pot, but a Hi-Pass is actually allowing signal to pass, undiminished by the potentiometer's load. When your volume is all the way up there will be no difference at all whether or not the Hi-Pass filter cap is soldered on. Or if anything, you'd theoretically restore the hi freq lost by the 500Kohms of inherent pot resistance. It's called a Hi-Pass filter but it's actually an "un-filter" the way it's wired in. It's not reducing the lows, rather allowing the highs to pass while the rest of the signal is reduced.

Playing with the tone at the amp is flat out impractical if you need to change sounds dramatically in a hurry. And you'll never get a "tone knob all the way down" sound from turning the treble down on the amp. It's a cutoff, while amp knobs are attenuators. Not to mention amp tone controls are usually post-gain.

Everyone who uses their tone knob on a guitar with a HPF should try this! I've been using it now since the original post and I like it more every time. I still have most guitars without a HPF, but the ones that have it all get this mod.

(sorry for the late reply, I haven't been around. Plus I think this trick deserved a bump)
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Don't bother clicking the image. If the link were active it would only take you back here to this thread. The yellow wire is your input to the volume pot and the red wire is the output from the volume pot.

Thanks Frank.

Last edited by ashbass; 11-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Thanks for posting the graphic!

Frank, I've got a UV7PWH on my hands right now without a high-pass filter, and I've been meaning to add one. I've got the soldering abilities of a medium-rare steak, but if I can work it out I'll try your mod and let you know what I think!

-D
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM

update - anyone got a good source for the capacitators you need for this? The local radio shack came up empty (although I had an interesting conversation with a bassist who worked there). Thanks,

-D
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Well, Ibanez uses a 330pF capacitor, all by it's lonesome. Other people will couple it with a resistor in parallel, to smooth our the taper. But there's no need. I would think you could get a 330pF at a Radio Shack, or at least something close to it. Otherwise any computer or electronics store, or go to a music store that does repairs. All the guitar parts suppliers should have them, so maybe a music store can put a few on their next order.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:56 PM

Frank - blonde moment, when I went in to have my 7620 rewired into this little place in Cambridge, the guy asked me if I wanted one on it. At the time I was so surprised that he (a bassist, and in a shop with more acoustic instruments than anything) knew that most Ibanez's came stock with one of these. I've been meaning to stuick my head back in there to chat with the guy (at the time, he was working on a custom doubleneck 8-string for a guy), so he'd probably have a few I could buy.

Thanks!

-D
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM

anyone else know a good low-quantity source for the 331 pF caps? the closest thing Radio Shack has is 100 pF, which doesn't keep enough treble for my tastes. and the smallest Stewmac has is 1000 pF, the value used in old Tele circuits.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 AM

Radio shack has them but you have to buy a complete assortment to get them. I have been using the 330pf as a bleed in my guitars for years and was suprised to find out that IBanez used the same valueas it is not very common. Works like a charm though
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Talking Re: Hi-Pass Filter trick (I'm an idiot)

just did the treble bleed thing between volume and tone pots. BRRRRRRRRRRILLIANT. endless possiblities. luv it on my '90's rg560 ibanez with the satriani dimarzio pups forget exactly what they are have to look at my notes but the same pups as in his signiture model. With the tone knob essentially acting as a variable treble bleed control it's great. thanks
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Wow this is an old thread! Is there a sound clip to hear this mod? Youtube even?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM

I have this wiring in one of my guitars and is very good, nothing earth shaking, but very good. when you use yours tone and your volume controls at the same time, their interaction is smother.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 6

I usually just remove the tone from the circuit. it seems to give me more volume & gain
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG man View Post
I usually just remove the tone from the circuit. it seems to give me more volume & gain
that's fine if you don't use the tone control, but I use it a lot, so this configuration gives me a more smooth and flexible passive control for my guitar tone.

Last edited by _FR0D0; 11-23-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Tags
amp tone , gain knob , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode