High outout 7 string pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

High outout 7 string pups

Hello everybody just recieved my brand new Ibanez RGD 7 string!!

Iv had a liquifire and d-activator before but found they weren't quite enough for me. Last guitar had EMG 707's and i loved it BUT i did notice the infamou lack of different styles they can do well.

I want something that can do very high gain tight thrash for lead AND rhythm. I tend to go for quite a defined trebly dry kind of rhythm sound, then a very 'pick attacky' kind of lead tone with plenty of mids and gain.

I also like to dabble in a bit of glam rock and try and get at least close to a niceish tubey warm crunch.

Anyway im aiming for something passive and i am open to suggestions. heard the Duncan distortion could work?

(Im playing through a Vypyr 30 through a 4x12 cab at the mo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: High outout 7 string pups

Get a new amp first.

Then we can talk new pickups.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:36 AM

Reviews: 11

DiMarzio X2N7 is about as high output as it gets. And the Seymour Duncan Invader 7.

The Distortion 7 isn't actually THAT high of output. Not like an X2n or an Invader.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM

What wasn't working about the Liquifire or Dactivator? Was it the sound, the output, something else...? If you didn't like EMGs, I'm not at all surprised you didn't like the DActivator, by the way...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Its a tough one. I DO like the sound of EMG but i DONT like the lack of versatility. I know a compromise has to be made somewhere. But i want something with enough output to do EMG chug chug, but also to be able to back it off and have some more versatility.

The D-activator felt to me like it was missing mids, a lot of them. Just not much punch in my opinion! Great pickup but just not quite what i was after.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 120

EMGs with the 18V mod have a lot more life and headroom, making them very versatile. Try the 18V mod perhaps.

Otherwise the Seymour Duncan Blackouts may be an option too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

What is your opinion on the blackouts?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM

Reviews: 11

I'm voting D-Sonic 7. Now I know that you're looking for high output, but I really think this is your pickup. And it's still fairly high output. It's just on the lower end of high.

But it's very punchy and full and clear and fat and doesn't lack any tone in ANY aspect. For high gain 7 string tones, this is the pickup that I use.

And trust me, I'm a death metal player! And I've been using 7 strings for almost half of my musical carreer. I know a thing or two about good metal, 7 string pickups
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Came in to chime in for the D Sonic! This pickup would be a great choice for you!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis08ltd View Post
Its a tough one. I DO like the sound of EMG but i DONT like the lack of versatility. I know a compromise has to be made somewhere. But i want something with enough output to do EMG chug chug, but also to be able to back it off and have some more versatility.

The D-activator felt to me like it was missing mids, a lot of them. Just not much punch in my opinion! Great pickup but just not quite what i was after.
You actually don't really need hyper outpt to get a good chug sound - that's more preamp gain than anything. In fact, in my experience really high output pickups tend to "chug" less than lower output ones because they're so much tighter and more focused.

I've never tried one, but a Blaze custom might be a good compromise between output and thick midrange. I love the original blaze - to me, it's always been the sound of a seven string guitar because so many classic seven string albums were cut with them (Awake-era DT, P&W-era Vai, Morbid Angel...), and it has a ton of lower mids.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thats given me much food for thought. Thanks a million for your input. x

Tags
gain , high , output , pickups , rgd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode