Home Made Guitar Cable Problem. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Home Made Guitar Cable Problem.

Hey Guys

I'm sure someone will have an easy answer for this one.

Im making up instrument cables with Mogami cable and some solid quality feeling plugs i got out of China ( yeah I know ). The problem is the plugs didn't come with the clear plastic sleeve to stop the cables grounding out on the plug casing. So I put heat shrink over the cables to act as an insulator.

The problem is some cables sound like they are lacking in top end, and 1 is dropping signal strength.

I'm thinking the heat shrink is not a good insulator and grounding out the hot signal wire slightly.. does this sound about right? If so, do you have any suggestions for an easy fix without new plugs and remaking 6 cables?

Thanks in Advance.

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Home Made Guitar Cable Problem.

Try wrapping your solder joints with electricians tape. Use as little as possible while still covering any exposed wire/solder. If this doesn't work, you may have some bad solder joints.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Or you've overheated the cable when making the joints and degraded the cable's own insulation.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I did cut some of the heat shrink off one cable, so it was not touching the hot wire. This seemed to fix the flaws in one cable..hence why I'm strongly thinking its the heat shrink, but its not ideal as any movement will put the hot wire in contact with the casing and then the ground.

RE electrical tape.. its a **** fix.. no offence.. the stuff comes off in heat, then its just messy. I'd rather bite the bullet and cut the ends and put GH or neutriks plugs on, which is a shame coz these cheap plugs out of china are supposed to be gold plated copper, and feel like they are quality, just as is always with china gear, someone forgot the details..

RE. joints and over heat.. My joints are good, maybe to hot seeing as the cable is thick as (I stuck the iron on 430c), but not that messy that I melted the cables insulating shield.

Does anyone know if heat shrink touching the hot and ground is just a no go with instrument cable???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 PM

You don't need to melt the insulating shield to degrade it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Fixed... The heat shrink must have been grounding some of the signal from the hotwire.
I spoke to a local guy that makes hi end audio cables, he suggested still using heat shrink to insulate the wires from touching the casing, but not to shrink it, that way its still there as an insulator if anything moves, but any contact with the hot wire is minimal. This works perfectly
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Reviews: 2

IDK, Heat shrink tubing's entire purpose is to prevent grounding out. Unless it shrank enough to force your signal and ground leads to touch I can't see it being a problem. Either way, I'm glad you got it fixed.

FWIW, if your plugs are getting hot enough to melt the adhesive on electrical tape, you have bigger problems than a messy plug.

Also, there's no telling what's happened inside your new MIC plugs IF you overheated the weld. It may not have hurt the jackets, but could have damaged the inside of the plugs themselves.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
IDK, Heat shrink tubing's entire purpose is to prevent grounding out. Unless it shrank enough to force your signal and ground leads to touch I can't see it being a problem. Either way, I'm glad you got it fixed.

FWIW, if your plugs are getting hot enough to melt the adhesive on electrical tape, you have bigger problems than a messy plug.

Also, there's no telling what's happened inside your new MIC plugs IF you overheated the weld. It may not have hurt the jackets, but could have damaged the inside of the plugs themselves.
Yeah, maybe the heat shrink closed up the gap between the wires in the plug, but I dont think so. 1 cable the gap was a bit close so maybe that was the one that was losing signal strength.

Re Heat... I have a good soldering station with a 70watt Hakko heater in it, so the welds where done fast, the plugs and welds are fine, im sure the cable insulation is fine too. I had to up the temp to get some heat into such thick cable.

Re the electrical tape.. I live in Australia which is what I ment by the glue comes of in heat, not that I'm melting it with an iron. I hate the stuff, if I have to repair a join that I've used it on years later, its come lose and the glues made everything sticky. Its just nasty.

I dunno on the heat shrink.. I know its supposed to an insulator, and that may be true with voltage and strong signals. But pickup output is such a week signal I have a feeling it was rolling off some top end. Which would make some sense knowing a little about very expensive Hi Fi cables and the time they put in to developing dielectric coatings, and supposedly that the top end tends to travel down the outside of the cable... but that's a discussion on best kept for the audiophile forums. I do know good cables do make a huge difference in high end Hi-Fi, thats why I making up some guitar cables with Mogami cable and gold plated copper plugs ( even if they where MIC ).

All fixed now anyway

Tags
cable problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode