Horribly stuck with superswitch HSS wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Horribly stuck with superswitch HSS wiring

Here are the combinations I'd like:

1) Neck and bridge (north coil) - hum cancelling
2) Neck and middle - hum cancelling
3) Neck, middle and bridge - hum cancelling
4) Middle and bridge (south coil) - hum cancelling
5) Bridge only

Can this be done with a 5-way, 4-pole superswitch? I'd quite like to also use a toggle switch to switch the humbucker from series to parallel mode, but I'm not sure if that will work with the coil splitting as well.

Is there someone a bit cleverer than me out there who could give me a hand? It's the humbucker modes that are confusing me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:52 AM

Re: Horribly stuck with superswitch HSS wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot-dot-dot
1) Neck and bridge (north coil) - hum cancelling
2) Neck and middle - hum cancelling
3) Neck, middle and bridge - hum cancelling
4) Middle and bridge (south coil) - hum cancelling
5) Bridge only

Can this be done with a 5-way, 4-pole superswitch?
yes -- you can do anything with a 24 pole switch.

Quote:
I'd quite like to also use a toggle switch to switch the humbucker from series to parallel mode, but I'm not sure if that will work with the coil splitting as well.
that's a neat challenge. i think you'd want to run the humbucker through the mini-toggle first, and then tap off that into the 5 way switch.

Quote:
Is there someone a bit cleverer than me out there who could give me a hand? It's the humbucker modes that are confusing me...
here's a hint -- to coil cut a humbucker, you connect the seires link either to the hot [which usually gives the screw pole piece coil], or connect it to ground and connect the humbucker hot wire to hot [which usually gives the slug pole piece coil].

if you were tapping off the series/parallel mini-toggle to the 5 way, you would have to find out which of the separate series link wires [since they would not be soldered together anymore] goes to the screw pole coil and which goes to the slug pole coil.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
here's a hint -- to coil cut a humbucker, you connect the seires link either to the hot [which usually gives the screw pole piece coil], or connect it to ground and connect the humbucker hot wire to hot [which usually gives the slug pole piece coil].
[edited]

Ah! I did know this, deep down (the guitar has a split/series/parallel switch that I did myself) but having it written down like this has made it a lot simpler...

Would anyone have a minute to think this through for me please?

Humbucker S-, middle and neck cold all connected to ground.

Mini toggle either (series) connects the humbucker N- and S+ together, or (parallel) connects N- to S- and N+ to a wire I'll call MT2

5-way

Pole 1:

Common to output
1: Neck +
2: Neck +
3: Neck +
4:
5:

Pole 2:

Common to output
1:
2: Middle +
3: Middle +
4: Middle +
5:

Pole 3:

Common to output
1: Bridge N+
2:
3: Bridge N+
4: Bridge S+
5: Bridge N+

Pole 4:

Common to S+
1: Ground
2:
3: MT2
4:
5: MT2

Does that do the job? Here's how I've worked it out:

Toggle set to series:
In position 1 I get the neck pickup, then the humbucker N+ to the output and humbucker S+ to ground. The S+ and N- are connected together, so the N- is also grounded and I just get teh North coil of the humbucker

In position 2 I get the neck and middle going to the output

In position 3 I get the neck, middle and humbucker N+ going to the output. S+ and N- are connected together, S- is grounded, so the humbucker is in series

In position 4 I get the middle and humbucker S+ connected to output, S- is still grounded, so it's the other humbucker coil to position 2

In position 5 I get the humbucker N+, the N- and S+ are connected and the S- goes to ground, so that's the humbucker in series

With the toggle set to parallel:

In position 1 I get the neck and humbucker N+ connected to output. The N- is connected to the S- so I get just the north coil of the humbucker

In position 2 I get the neck and middle

In position 3 I get the neck, middle and humbucker N+ connected to the output. The S+ is connected to the N+ through the fourth pole of the superswitch and the second pole of the miniswitch and the S- and N- are both grounded so I get the humbucker in parallel

In position 4 I get the middle and humbucker S+

In position 5 I get the humbucker N+, which is connected to the S+ through the minitoggle and the fourth pole of the superswitch, so the humbucker is in parallel

Is this right?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Is this right?
if you can find someone to understand your own custom wiring setups without paying them, then you're one ahead of me! you've clearly mapped it out well. from there, the best way to tell is to wire it up and see what happens. if it is wrong, you will learn how and be able to figure out why, and you'll learn a lot more about pickup wiring than if someone else deciphered your diagram and grunted "yeah."

can you tell i'm a chemistry teacher?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
if you can find someone to understand your own custom wiring setups without paying them, then you're one ahead of me!
Good point... sorry if this all seems rather cheeky.

I think it works. I made a full schematic, then emptied my head (didn't take long) and worked through what the schematic would do, and it seems to match what I wanted in the first place...

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , mini toggle , neck pickup , pickup wiring , pole switch , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode