How crazy is this idea? RG560 pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
How crazy is this idea? RG560 pickups

The 560 is such a weird guitar--half strat, half Les Paul. The problem I have with my 560's stock pickups is that the single coils, to play nicely with fairly powerful humbuckers, are pretty hot. The S1 single coils the came stock are like 9k (40% hotter than a vintage strat). That's ok, but I like vintage output strat pickups for that sparkly Mayer/Johnson tone. Then again, I'd like to be able to use a really powerful humbucker to really blast off in solos. So I want a guitar that sounds like a classic strat, until I flick a switch.

So here's what I'm thinking (tell me if this is dumb):

I'll install 2 vintage output single coils (around 5.5k and 6k) in the neck and middle. Then I'll install a loud-like-death humbucker (like an X2N) in the bridge with a SD Triple Shot. So I'll have 5.5k, 6k, 7.9k (split coil) for ordinary playing. Then, when it's time to blast off, I'll hit the switch, have the X2N in series.

Would this work? Would splitting the X2N give me a credible bridge single coil? I know regular humbuckers sound really flimsy when split.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Re: How crazy is this idea? RG560 pickups

Depends on the humbucker, some split really well. Sorry, no experience with the X2N. Also parallel/serial switching might suit you better than splitting, though you'd have less of a volume drop.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Banned

Dimarzio fast tracks/chopper to the rescue. I switch them in parallel, to get closer to this single coil tone. Not sure X2N would work. You might use push/pull for switching.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Dimarzio fast tracks/chopper to the rescue. I switch them in parallel, to get closer to this single coil tone. Not sure X2N would work. You might use push/pull for switching.
Definitely not going to use fast tracks or choppers. I want the single coils to be much lower output than the S1. The question really is whether the X2N will be a nice single coil tone when split.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:02 AM

X2N and SD Invader are very good for splitting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 1

Impossible to say what you'd like. However I bought my 560 new in 93 and have kept it since and my guitar collection has grown a bit you might say. Owning over 20 ibbies right now I have a decent source of comparison. I personally don't like the tone of the X2N, yes it's hot but it's not nice. My favorite is the IBZUSA F2 which is a completely different sounding pickup (closer to tonezone) so it boils down to taste. I also have a RG760, the same year as my 560, and I have kept the 760 stock and for some reason (I guess wood) the 760 sounds better. the 560 is darker and doesn't have the same mojo. So the original C2 pickups in the 760 sounds great, which is pretty much the same pickup as the DiMarzio HS-2. (I did some recordings between those pickups, and honestly I can't tell them apart). But the HS2 didn't do it for me in my 560. Right now my 560 has a cruiser in the neck and area 67 in the middle. Am I happy, well for strat sounds I go to the 760 with the C2's rather than the 560's brighter pickups.
Another thing to think about; hum cancelling. If you play a lot in the neckposition with distortion a regular single coil will hum.

Anyway, the conclusion is that you will never know unless you try it out, and that my post wasn't too useless.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Definitely not going to use fast tracks or choppers. I want the single coils to be much lower output than the S1. The question really is whether the X2N will be a nice single coil tone when split.
It's funny, I spent years trying to do the exact reverse.

If you really want to have an audible boost when you hit the humbucker, then pretty much anything will come across as louder than vintage-output singlecoils. So, just choose a medium-hot or better bridge pickup that you like, and grab something a little more classic in the neck and middle position - I had a lot of success with a Fender Custom 69 neck and Texas Special middle, though you'd have to grab those separately since I don't believe you can order them directly from Fender outside of a set.

If you want a vintage voiced singlecoil pickup, and you're either not concerned with having a hugely hotter humbucker, or want to use something insanely hot like an X2N, more likely than not your problem with the Ibanez singlecoils is how they're voiced, and not with their output. I've got a set of Suhr ML Standards in my Strat at the moment, and while their resistance is in the 6.5/6.9 range, resistance alone doesn't really tell the full story as they're pretty hot, and can keep up with a medium-output humbucker without much issue. They also sound awesome; they're great, very "classic" sounding singlecoils, just with enough output to drive an amp more than a typical Fender singlecoil. I found them hot enough to hang with a Dimarzio AT-1, so if you paired them with an Evo or something around that line (or just kept them a bit further off the strings) you'd probaby be fine.

But, short version is, ask yourself if you want lower output singlecoils than the S1 because you don't like the output, or because you don't like the tone. There are a number of reasonably hot, vintage-y sounding singlecoils out there that CAN balance a lot closer with humbuckers, if you decide you don't want a hugely audible gain boost when you flip to the bridge.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Would this work? Would splitting the X2N give me a credible bridge single coil? I know regular humbuckers sound really flimsy when split.
Also, on this, in the bridge position, it REALLY matters which coil you're using; I've had guitar s wired up with the bridge coil closest to the trem engaged when spit, and closest to the neck engaged when split. Perhaps obvious, but you're going to have a much fuller tone if you go with the neck-side coil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode