Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How to direct mount pups

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JonatanOTG 
#1 ·
What kind of screws should I use to direct mount dimarzio pups to a body. The screws that come with them are for scratchplate mounting.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I would think that you could just use the same screws that you would use to mount pickup-rings into the body (those little wood screws).

I'm not sure on that so take it with a grain of salt, but if you've got the right pickup cavity for a direct mount all you should need is a self-tapping screw that fits the pickup feet.

#6 ·
Yeah that's true. Unless the cavities are cut to the exact depth to allow perfect pickup height (which means you couldn't change the action on the guitar...ever lol) then springs or something would be required as well...

The hard thing for me to figure out there would be how to adjust them without the pickup ring/pickguard. Without risking the screw getting too loose that is.

I suppose you could insert shims into the pickup cavity...something like a durable foam or maybe even wood...

There's not much of a point in direct-mounting to the wood if the pickups are going to be floating above it anyway though lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.