How do you wire an RG3120?!?!? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

How do you wire an RG3120?!?!?

This has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find it...

Brought my new [used] RG3120TW to a local tech last fall. I had issues with it sounding thin. The tech told me one of the coils on my Tone Zone wasn't working. Well, fast forward 7 months to now.. I just bought a used BKP Aftermath and installed it in the bridge, and it still sounds thin! The stock PAF Pro in the bridge also sounds thin compared to my RG3120DR, which sounds darker, thicker, warmer, rounder, etc...

So, I figure it must be the wiring (although the tech said he checked it). I opened the back of both 3120's and there are definitely differences in the wiring. But ironically, comparing both my 3120's to RG3120 schematic on Dimarzio's website, they BOTH don't match what's online... Is the Dimarzio schematic correct?

Schematic: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...rg3120wire.pdf

Regardless, I'm going to bring it back in and tell him this. The damn VLX-91 and different diagrams/wiring has be baffled.

EDIT: Does anyone know a tech / luthier in Toronto, Canada area? Or if anyone that could help me lives in the area, I will pay for your help and time!

Last edited by Steveche; 05-30-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: How do you wire an RG3120?!?!?

Brought it in today, the tech took another look and said the wiring looks fine. He thinks that the VLX-91 switch might be the reason, and suggested replacing it. Too expensive for them to order so he said it's probably best I order it myself (I immediately thought ibanezrules).

I told him that the wiring on my 2001 RG3120 is different and both have the VLX-91 switch. But he said the wiring on the switch (all the connections/jumpers) might be different from year-to-year. The RG3120 with the issue is from 2000. I don't see how it'd be different from year-to-year with the same model in this case. The 2000 and 2001 RG3120s both have VLX-91, both come stock Tone Zone / PAF Pro, and I believe both are wired the same (neck, neck parallel, both humbuckers, inner coils, bridge).

Can anyone confirm if the wiring is different from 2000 to 2001 RG3120, both with VLX-91?

Also, are all VLX-91's the same (with OTAX on the back)? So if I order one from Rich, it'll be the same (same quality and wiring) as the stock switch?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple pictures to illustrate the differences that I'm talking about. But the tech said it's completely normal.

2000 RG3120 (with issue of sounding thin). Wiring looks "clean", a lot of room in there (BKP Aftermath in bridge so green & black wires are swapped):

2001 RG3120. Many black wires going from one pad to another (seen mostly on the left side of the switch in this photo). I believe these are called jumpers (I could be wrong)? Anyway, I counted 4. In the previous photo, there are none:
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 AM

Reviews: 1

How skilled are you with troubleshooting?
There is a wire diagram for the 3120 on Ibanez.com and your tech is right when he says the wiring might differ. It does, but it works the same way. The four poles on the VLX91 is identical so the assembler has to choose which pole he uses.

For your guitar, which position does it sound thin? All or just one. Position 2 & 4 will sound less powerful, but you already know that I guess.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
How skilled are you with troubleshooting?
There is a wire diagram for the 3120 on Ibanez.com and your tech is right when he says the wiring might differ. It does, but it works the same way. The four poles on the VLX91 is identical so the assembler has to choose which pole he uses.

For your guitar, which position does it sound thin? All or just one. Position 2 & 4 will sound less powerful, but you already know that I guess.
I like to troubleshoot things, but the VLX91 has me confused. I'm pretty new to wiring with my guitars, the most I'm comfortable doing right now is swapping a pickup. I would love to find someone near me and pay them for a tutorial!

All positions sound thin. Position 2 on the 2000 RG3120 hums and sounds more like a single coil, which is why I initially thought the wiring is off. But it sounds like something is missing in all positions, whereas the 2001 RG3120 sounds thick.

7 months ago when I initially brought it in, he used a multi-meter on the tone zone and said half the coil is not working. But I put in the BKP aftermath last week, but still no luck. And comparing the PAF Pro, it sounds warm, round, mellow and smooth in the 2001 RG3120, but sounds thin, tinny and weak in the 2000 RG3120. That's when I checked all the other positions and found the same result.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Steve,
I'd start simple...I would first test the pickup with a multi-meter just to make sure you don't have a dead coil. Next i'd check for a bad solder connection on the switch. If you need to rewire the switch from scratch here's a diagram. This should be the same wiring for your guitar.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/wi...5-a-70790.html

Last edited by pwsusi; 06-02-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode