How hard is it to replace a magnet??? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

How hard is it to replace a magnet???

Well how hard is it. I would love to try the new Paf joe in the bridge position with an Alnico 5 magnet. I am no expert on pickups (more of an amp man myself ). So:
1) How hard is it??
2) Would I need to rewind the pickup afterwards??
3) Is it worth the hassle???

Freak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Re: How hard is it to replace a magnet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak

Well how hard is it. I would love to try the new Paf joe in the bridge position with an Alnico 5 magnet. I am no expert on pickups (more of an amp man myself ). So:
1) How hard is it??
3) Is it worth the hassle???

Freak
It's not hard, just pay attention to what's touching what and where the magnetic polarities are when you're disassembling the thing.

No, you needn't rewind.

It CAN be worth it, especially if you know what you're going for.

I turned an F2 into a "dualtone" style pup, replacing the screws with Alnico 5 rod polepieces (to make splitting sound better). They didn't fit very well, so I had to gap fill with wax, but it worked pretty well. I also moved the magnet under the bobbins. It definitely works better split, though I don't like it as much as a bucker now.

edited for accuracy: I used alnico RODS, not BARS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
1) How hard is it??
if you're talking about replacing the bar magnet underneath the coils, it's not that hard, and you don't need [and wouldn't want to] rewind the pickup, but you should be really careful about a few things.

most dimarzio humbuckers unscrew from under the baseplate, and the bar magnet is jammed between the ends of the pole pieces. to swap in a new magnet, you would want a new one with exactly the same dimensions, or it might not fit [your best best might be to steal it out of a different dimarzio pickup]. also, you want to be really careful with the wires inside, where the pickup cable connects to the wiring of the coils. if you break the hair-thin copper coil wires or their connection to the pickup cable, the pickup is dead, and those tiny wires are impossible to resolder -- i lost an HS2 that way 12 years ago.

i have worried some about the pickup being 'looser' when put back together, since you have to disturb some of the wax potting, but i've never had any additional feedback problems in pickups that i've flipped the magnet.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will do it (after my amp making fetish is fully funded ). I think that the Paf Joe with a A5 in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck would be the ultimate combo!!! Can't wait till I give it a try!!

freak
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
i have worried some about the pickup being 'looser' when put back together, since you have to disturb some of the wax potting, but i've never had any additional feedback problems in pickups that i've flipped the magnet.
Good points about being careful.

As I understand, the biggest benefit from potting in the first place is in the windings themselves. They are generally what become microphonic. So as long as you don't disturb them, repotting shouldn't be necessary.

Tags
air norton , bridge position , dimarzio humbuckers , dimarzio pickup , paf joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode