how high do you run your pickups? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

how high do you run your pickups?

how high do you all run your pickups? i notice that steve vai has his single coil flush with the pickguard, and the hums pretty low.

(please specify your pickup- breeds or evos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:13 PM

Pickup height...

I keep my humbuckers as close as possible, and keep my single coils backed away from the strings until the weird, swirling harmonics are at a minimum.
Mesadude
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:38 PM

Could you elaborate on those swirling harmonics please. They sound like a problem I've had for sometime.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 09:59 PM

Could someone explain what the differences are with the pick-ups close to the strings and close to the pickguard?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

pickups are close to the string when there is a little bit of room between the pickup and the string. pickups are close to the pickguard when they are lowered to the point where there is a lot of clearance between the pickup and the string, so they are farther down, and they are closer to the pickguard.

for some reason that was hard to explain even though it was a simple question.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:13 AM

The closer the pickups the more natural sustain is altered as the magnets are now pulling more and more on the strings themselves. The single coil *swirly sound* as you call it, is 60 cycle hum, and is caused by the fact that the coil is not a humbucker. IE Humbuckers have a positive and a negative wound coil whereas single coils merely have as the name implys a single coil.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:36 AM

I keep the humbuckers on all of my guitars at about 1/4" below the strings.

On my Jem and RGs, the single coil is backed down a bit farther. There's only about 2mm of the pickup cover showing above the pickguard.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

i have to lower my single coil all the way flush with the pickguard, i would probably have it lower, but the springs just make it pop out more if i screw it in farther. my humbuckers are probably 4mm off the pickguard.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 08:55 AM

The only reason why Steve has his single coil set close to the pickguard is because he kept hitting it on unwanted moments...those middle bastards can really get in the way at times...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
The only reason why Steve has his single coil set close to the pickguard is because he kept hitting it on unwanted moments...those middle bastards can really get in the way at times...
I had to do the same thing on my RG 550.

Even during lead playing, that exactly where I position my hand so it was always in the way for me.

Funny though, I LIKE the way it sounds that way (I have an HS-2 wired for single). It really drops the volume and since I don't use over the top distortion, with a light pick attack I can clean things up really well without having to roll the volume.

Mic
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:43 PM

Why can't he file the bottom of the coil so that it won't get stuck?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Remind me to take a picture of the middle pickup on my Squier Strat and post it. It's actually starting to wear off a bit of the edge of the pickup from my pick hitting it while playing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courjan
Could you elaborate on those swirling harmonics please. They sound like a problem I've had for sometime.
The "Swirling Harmonic" is usuall caused by a single coil pick-up's very focused magnetic field changing the vibration of the string. I had this problem on my Jake E. Lee, on the G string mostly.

I keep the middle single on my RG750's flush with the pick guard, the bridge as close to the strings as I can without and string rubbing it regardless of how hard I strum/pick or how high up the neck I'm playing.
I adjust the Neck pup so that it's volume is balanced with the bridge.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:25 AM

A post in some other thread made the comment about hitting the pickup, too. I didn't bother to reply, but I made an "S" guitar with everything recessed like the Frank Gambale. I used a Fast Track for the middle, and let me tell you, on a guitar that you think this might be a problem, that's the answer. Your pick will just slide over the top of the pickup if you hit it. And it's a darn good middle single tone. I have it tap-able, which offers an even squeakier strat middle tone. You can get them closer to the strings if you want, too. Because the rail magnets have less string pull, and they're even, with no dead spots. The dead spots between the poles really mess with the vibration of the string, because each revolution it fluctuates between strong and weak magnetism as it goes to the outside of the pole. I can't figure out why more pro's like Steve haven't made the switch on their live guitars. It would seem like an appropriately placed Fast Track would be a better compromise than an ill placed Jem single. But that would jack up the whole Jem marketing campaign.

Tags
frank gambale , neck pup , pickup cover , squier strat , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode